Boring bar insert review :)

U

umahunter

Forum Guest
Register Today
I'm far from super experienced but thought I'd pass this along. while back I picked up the 3 piece indexable boring bar set from grizzly at a good price and while on ebay I found these korloy inserts for aluminum. they were under 20 for a pack from china so it's a crap shoot if they're real but 20180610_000555.jpg20180610_000646.jpg20180610_000658.jpg so far they've done great :)

China inserts are more often too hard, they break easy, on softer materials they can last forever also they don't like thermal shock.

The cut on that bore looks nice. You put the magic touch on that one.

RE: Ebay inserts... Just wish to pass along some things I've learned and have come to suspect over the years. There are some dealers who sell no-name inserts and I've used them with varying success. Those no-name inserts are made in Asia and do not have material classification codes -and I've never seen a pack that has speed & feed data. There are many places in Asia that make those inserts. There is a brand name called Dragon that sells a whole line of inserts. After using a few different kinds, I'm not inclined to buy any more. I can't imagine the did any quality control because some worked/lasted OK and others chipped within moments.

I've purchased name brand inserts from Ebay such as Mitsubishi, Tungaloy, Kennametal, Kyocera and some seemed good and some did not. All of these came from various over-seas dealers on Ebay. In some cases, the seal was broken on the plastic case. In some cases, the the label did not match other boxes that I purchased from MSC or Carbide Depot.

What I'm getting at is that many of these inserts are either outright counterfeit or, possibly stolen from a tool-crib and sold online.

I've lost too much time and productivity by using junk inserts. My days of buying them off Ebay ended about 2 years ago.

Ray

I'm not sure if these are genuine korloy I checked everything I could and it all lined up but with China you never know. I was a lil more comfortable buying these as I had bought the same larger style specifically for aluminium that have been very good to me and leave the same type of finish on 6061 so far I've had great luck with every insert but some parting inserts that didn't fit great. only thing I had problems with was endmills listed as .500 that were really 12mm and the guy refunded most of my money I paid a couple bucks for 2 4 flute endmills that worked well with a 12 mm collet

Guys. you should check with me if your looking for name brand inserts. Everything I have was headed to the dumpster. I figure I could make a few bucks while giving the guys here a good deal. Nobody has asked for any. I have hundreds....more than I could use in a lifetime.

Back