Boring bar

Jan-willem

Registered
Registered
Hi, I just upgraded from a Chinese mini lathe to a craftsman industrial 12”. I tried to use my 1/4 boring bars on a project on my mini lathe and it was a night mare. That’s why I upgraded to this nice lathe. I just bought a axa qctp and am working on installing it on my craftsman. It has the 5/8” holder for it. Do I need to buy a new set or can I somehow use my old (new) ones. Please advise.

You can make a bushing for holding smaller bars in the holder. I've heard the one that comes with import QCTP sets isn't very good, but I haven't tried it myself. I just use normal tool holders for the boring bars so far.

You can make other split sleeves like the one the boring bar holder came with. The AXA size #4 holder holds 3/4" without the sleeve & 5/8" with the sleeve. Generally you would only go one nominal shank size smaller with the sleeve. You can make sleeves smaller than 5/8" but because of the thickness you may have to make a relief cut on the opposing side of the split otherwise it might not clamp down on your boring bars.

I do use a slightly different style of the HD boring bar holders but I keep dedicated boring bars in them. Too much hassle to use them to swap out all the boring bars you use when needed.

(Don't mind the tiny endmill or pencil die grinder. Didn't have the right size slitting saw at the time & I've never even tried using that die grinder)
20161103_160129.jpg20161103_201353.jpg

That beveling machine sure does a nice job, Will.

That beveling machine sure does a nice job, Will.

Thanks Mike but I modified that boring bar holder long before I even knew about those machines. I put the bevels on that with a belt sander. Might not be able to tell from the pic but in person can tell it was a belt sander by the surface finish. :big grin:

But yeah the chamfering/beveling machine works quite well as long as you don't feed the part through it too fast. It will leave facets if you do. Expensive but I love that machine, I use it anytime I can find an excuse to use it.

This was done on that machine, the bevel on the radius also.
20190726_214522.jpg

I’m just going to buy some more and sell the smaller ones. Thanks for the help everyone.

You can buy or make adapters with set screws or pass-thru slots for set screws. The later is only good for holders with set screws bearing directly on the shaft of the boring bar, eg an Aloris BXA-100.

Here's some photos of adapters I made:

f908399290f41ce79a3a3d8b19cd3697.jpg
d6e1e27514162434338b23c89c063adb.jpg

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

You can buy or make adapters with set screws or pass-thru slots for set screws. The later is only good for holders with set screws bearing directly on the shaft of the boring bar, eg an Aloris BXA-100.

Here's some photos of adapters I made:

f908399290f41ce79a3a3d8b19cd3697.jpg
d6e1e27514162434338b23c89c063adb.jpg

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

That's the style holders I use except they are Dorian & is how I made my sleeves, well just one. I had no idea Aloris made em like that too. I may have to pick a couple up if I ever get more big boring bars. The Dorian ones are pretty expensive now. Thanks.

Nice job on your adapters too, I like how you have the hex on the end.

20191021_163153.jpg

Back