Boring bars, another very beginner question!

Mauser lover

Registered
Registered
I understand the concept of boring bars. I have searched for all the videos I can think of concerning boring bars. I now have a "need" for a boring bar setup. I have shopped on Amazon, eBay, Shars, Grizzly, etc. for boring bars, but nowhere can I find someone who explains how to hold the thing in a four-way toolpost, or where to buy such a toolholder! I've got to be missing something.

Does anyone have a link to a video I can watch about this? Is it absolutely impossible to hold a boring bar in anything but a quick change toolpost or a lantern style toolpost? Do I clamp it down in the four-way without a holder? Is there something special that a boring bar holder is called for a four-way?

I've got to be missing a piece of the puzzle. Any help is appreciated!

I understand the concept of boring bars. I have searched for all the videos I can think of concerning boring bars. I now have a "need" for a boring bar setup. I have shopped on Amazon, eBay, Shars, Grizzly, etc. for boring bars, but nowhere can I find someone who explains how to hold the thing in a four-way toolpost, or where to buy such a toolholder! I've got to be missing something.

Does anyone have a link to a video I can watch about this? Is it absolutely impossible to hold a boring bar in anything but a quick change toolpost or a lantern style toolpost? Do I clamp it down in the four-way without a holder? Is there something special that a boring bar holder is called for a four-way?

I've got to be missing a piece of the puzzle. Any help is appreciated!

Your boring bar can certainly be held in a four way holder. You need to use shims under the bar to get the tip of the cutter exactly on centre. A lot of bars have a flat on the bottom to help with alignment of the angle of the cutter. In most cases a little down angle on the cutter (point still on centre) has worked best for me. Still use four way holders on my small Emco 5 inch lathe and use QCTP on the the 12 inch.

A vee block sort of device that brings the bar to center is all that is required. A four way toolpost (turret toolpost) is the least desirable type of toolpost for ordinary work in a lathe for one off or even limited production, Get a Aloris style toolpost, they have holders with a vee groove on the bottom, and adjust to center easily.

Here’s a fellow using boring bars in a 4 way.

I never had any trouble using a boring in my four way. It has been awhile since I did this so I don't remember exactly how I set it up. I know that I shimmed it to center line. Just don't remember which shims I used. I have also seen boring bar holders for a four way that looked like this.

boring bar holder.jpg

The dimensions would be specific to your lathe, four way tool post holder and the size of the boring bar.

I made a norman style QCTP and made tool holders for the different size boring bars that I have. Not hard to make. https://www.hobby-machinist.com/threads/tool-post-holder.69487/

Here is the sleeve that Chuck referred to. The problem with this type of sleeve is that it will only work with a bar that fits the hole in the sleeve. That may or may not fit the bore you need. Best idea is to make your own. If you buy a QCTP, you can use the #2 V-bottomed holder or use a circumferential holder with sleeves to suit your bars.

Couple of questions now...

I went and measured my toolpost. From the bottom of the slot for the tool to the top (cutting side) of the tool is 3/4 inch when the tool is lined up to cut correctly. If I'm just getting a square boring bar and clamping it straight into the toolpost does this mean I should get one that is 3/4? Trying to shim minimally.

For the Aloris type tool holder, what do I measure to make sure I get the right size? I'd like to eventually get one of these, but... maybe next month.

Couple of questions now...

I went and measured my toolpost. From the bottom of the slot for the tool to the top (cutting side) of the tool is 3/4 inch when the tool is lined up to cut correctly. If I'm just getting a square boring bar and clamping it straight into the toolpost does this mean I should get one that is 3/4? Trying to shim minimally.

For the Aloris type tool holder, what do I measure to make sure I get the right size? I'd like to eventually get one of these, but... maybe next month.

No, that just means whatever you measured gives you an idea of what the largest boring bar is that you can mount directly on your 4-way tool post. The size bars you buy should be dependent on what you need to bore. If you buy only the largest boring you can fit, what happens when you need to bore smaller holes? Notice I mentioned bars in plural, you'll need more than one size.

I think I started off with 3/8" & 1/2" boring bars, then I purchased smaller & bigger bars as I needed them.

For QCTP sizing, don't go based on what swing recommendations they give for the different sizes. It varies depending on the lathe. Measure the distance from the top surface on your compound slide (where your tool post sits on) to spindle center line.

For AXA you need at least 15/16" height to run 1/2" shank tools which is the max standard capacity for AXA (not including oversized holders).
For BXA you need at least 1-1/8" height to run max 5/8" shank tools (again not including oversized tool holders).

I could go one but not sure what size your lathe it.

From the bottom of my tool post to the top of my tool (this seemed to be the easiest and most precise way to measure from the top of the compound slide to the spindle center) I have about 1.340. Just measured with the calipers. It didn't sound like it needed to be too precise.

I looked at the ones from Shars (so I could start drooling for when the funds arrive) and it looks like they come with their own t-slot that I will need to machine to fit. Obviously I'd prefer to be lazy, as my mill is kinda "down" right now, so I'd prefer to get away with no milling. Is there any chance that the bolt to hold the Aloris style holder will be the same as what I've got on it right now?

I've had some time to cogitate on boring bar diameters. If the insert for a carbide insert boring bar is halfway down, then to get a 3/4" bar up to center, I'll have to have 3/8 of shim under it. But! I don't know, and I've never seen someone say, that the insert is halfway down the diameter of the bar. I've just seen pictures and taken a wild guess that it is.

And yes, I do understand that I will need more than one eventually. Just using a "for instance" so I can start to understand what's going on, and my current project is a large enough hole, so I didn't want to get too far into tooling for a four-way tool post if I am going to be switching to an Aloris soon.

I could go one but not sure what size your lathe is.

Please, go on! If you need more lathe info, I'm more than happy to go get it!

Back