Boring Gingery Head Stock

I commend you on your creation, nice work.
As for why no one has yet to comment just give it time, I didnt see this thread until a few minutes ago and ive been on a few times today looking through new post.

Fun project! Thank you for posting. It is always fun to see people build something more precise than the tools they are using to build it! I got a copy of the Gingery lathe books back in high school but never tackled the project - that was 35 years ago!

Hi Tim,

I just stumbled across this thread today.....I'm late to the party again.......

No Chattering, No Flopping Around, And Nice Not To Have All That Oil Dripping All Over,

That sounds like a win to me!
Congratulations.

Surprised that no one else has commented on it, I really don't mind but I wonder why, maybe I did or said something wrong on this forum..
I might have, had head injury few years back and do act and say wrong things at the wrong time and don't even realize it.
If I offended many on this site, I apologize.

Don't worry about that. You said/did nothing to offend. I suspect that there are many people like me that bought the Gingery books to see how all that was possible, but then realized that the cost/benefit ratio was NOT in their favour. For me, I would be dead long before I have time to finish building the Gingery machine shop collection.

However, even though I was short on time I could eventually scrape together the money for an old lathe (1937 Southbend) and old mill (1916 Cincinnati).
The lessons learned from the Gingery series DID give me a pile of insight into checking these machines and making some additions.

I am hoping that my health holds out long enough for me to retire and spend much more time in my workshop.
I'd love to change the time/cost benefit analysis for so many projects.
Please feel free to post anytime about any of your projects!

-brino

Last edited:
Hi Tim,

I just stumbled across this thread today.....I'm late to the party again.......

That sounds like a win to me!
Congratulations.

Don't worry about that. You said/did nothing to offend. I suspect that there are many people like me that bought the Gingery books to see how all that was possible, but then realized that the cost/benefit ratio was NOT in their favour. For me, I would be dead long before I have time to finish building the Gingery machine shop collection.

However, even though I was short an time I could eventually scrape together the money for an old lathe (1937 Southbend) and old mill (1916 Cincinnati).
The lessons learned from the Gingery series DID give me a pile of insight into checking these machines and making some additions.

I am hoping that my health holds out long enough for me to retire and spend much more time in my workshop.
I'd love to change the time/cost benefit analysis for so amny projects.
Please feel free to post anytime about any of your projects!

-brino
brino, sounds like some nice old machines you have, the fun part is working and tweaking them and then start over again..
After the new spindle in my gingery lathe it sure works good now, nice and smooth and the only chattering is if I screw something up.. and really quick at machining pulleys. :grin big:

Gingery machines really feed my brain, cant get enough of that building stuff...

Hope you stay healthy, Its fun to just do what ever you want when retired, I cant sit and watch TV very long so I'm happy just building something,

Thanks,
Have a Nice evening or day,
Tim

Back