Boring Head Adapter

Nope, I did not. Only one set of those crossed my threshold as a holdover from the lathe's previous owner. It left shortly thereafter via my scrap box...

-f

Boring bars arrived yesterday from KBC Tools. I bought 3 of their house brand in M42 high speed steel.

image.jpeg

Of course I tweaked the grinds a bit and honed the edges, then gave a few test passes through some aluminum. Works good. Maybe not quite as much fun as boring on the lathe, but still satisfying. The increments on the boring head itself are a bit goofy -- the scale gets smaller as the cut goes bigger -- but whatever. It works, I'm happy.

image.jpeg

-frank

The increments on the boring head itself are a bit goofy -- the scale gets smaller as the cut goes bigger -- but whatever. It works, I'm happy.

-frank

If you rotate the boring bar 180degrees you should get the increments working in the more logical direction.

If you rotate the boring bar 180degrees you should get the increments working in the more logical direction.

Oh there's a thought, never went down that road! Duh!
I'll try it, thanks!

-f

Last edited:
:D Well that kind of works, and kind of doesn't!

If you put the boring bar into the centre hole, yes, you can turn the cutting edge so that the number scale will increase with the diameter of cut. But if the bar is in the outer hole you have no choice, the cutting edge has to face one way in order to cut and that, coincidentally, is still the direction where the number scale decreases with increasing diameter.

I guess if you looked at the scale as how much wall thickness you had remaining..... naaahh! ;)

-f

Ah well, worth a try! Back to counting the engraved lines then :)

Mal

Back