Boring Head Question

rwm

Robert
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
Do boring heads typically come with removable shanks or are they integral. I am specifically looking at the Criterion 202. Can I change the shank out on these?
Robert

They come both ways. As for the specific tool you are looking at I cant help but i would think there is more then 1 option as to how it would mount so make sure you ask the seller.

OK cool. How bad are the Shars compared to the Criterion? Any thoughts?
Robert

Thre years ago I bought a Criterion knock-off, probably made in China, it works, does the job I asked of it, came with a number of cemented carbide tools, all of which needed touching up. While Criterion is arguably the industry standard, mine works as well as Criterions I've used in the past. For Hobby, work, save your money for additional tools

They come both ways.

As far as I know, Criterion only made the DBL-202 series in the threaded adapter configuration. They intended this to be something every shop could own so they made them with the 7/8-20 thread in back and then made almost every possible adapter to fit it. It worked, too.

Thre years ago I bought a Criterion knock-off, probably made in China, it works, does the job I asked of it, came with a number of cemented carbide tools, all of which needed touching up. While Criterion is arguably the industry standard, mine works as well as Criterions I've used in the past. For Hobby, work, save your money for additional tools

Hey Tom, remember when that ebay seller was selling Interstate Criterion-knock off heads for about $20 or so? I got one and it looks very much like a DBL-202B head. Haven't used it yet but I bet it would work just fine in a hobby shop.

As far as I know, Criterion only made the DBL-202 series in the threaded adapter configuration. They intended this to be something every shop could own so they made them with the 7/8-20 thread in back and then made almost every possible adapter to fit it. It worked, too.
Thanks for clearing that up as i have no experience with that brand of tooling. My reply was a Generalized answer to the first part of the OP's question.

Just wanted to make sure that this was clear. The DBL-202 head is probably the single most used head in most shops for a very good reason - it works. It is also the most cloned head out of China for the same reason. Many Chinese heads have a different thread on them, though.

This Old Tony has a nice video on making one. Hmm.....
Robert

Back