Boring Head Question

I have used Chinese boring heads. They worked well. Unfortunately the dial on the 2" head was numbered backwards.

Some day I am going to engrave my boring heads: do the markings represent thousandths on the diameter or on the radius?

You may think I'm crazy but I have about 8 boring heads. I still have the 2" Chinese that I use on the lathe for cutting balls. For small work my favorites are Tenthset boring heads in 3/8" and 1/2" tool size. The vernier on them read to a ten thousandth. I have Enco (Gamet from France) boring and facing heads in 1/2" and 3/4" bar capacities. I have two D'andrea boring and facing heads. One feeds with a hand crank, the other is capable of power feed. I probably still have a 3" diameter Chinese head. I know the graduations on the D'andrea heads are thou on the diameter. I think that applies to the Tenthset heads also. The rest I do not remember.

This Old Tony has a nice video on making one. Hmm.....
Robert

Yeah but you need a lathe capable of time travel to go to the future to grab the tapping head to take dimensions from. Oh & don't forget to grab the banana if you do make it to the future. ;)

Hey Tom, remember when that ebay seller was selling Interstate Criterion-knock off heads for about $20 or so? I got one and it looks very much like a DBL-202B head. Haven't used it yet but I bet it would work just fine in a hobby shop.

Up until a month ago, I had no idea that I bought one of those too. There was this little green box in a drawer that I would always push off to the side to grab something else it was in the way of. Finally a month ago I opened the box & there was that boring head. Checked my ebay purchase history & sure enough it was one of those bargin boring heads.

I've used a few China Criterion clones that were sloppy & finicky, maybe they were really worn? This one seems tight but I have not actually used it yet either. To my surprise it's marked Taiwan on it. I think I bought it with the intention of making a radius turner out of it or a using it in the tailstock for offsetting to turn tapers. Now I wish I had bought 2 of them.

Curious, what's the difference between Criterion DBL-202A & DBL-202B? My Criterion just says DBL-202 on it. Edit: N/M, found the answer. 3/8" would have been nice.

20190508_183019.jpg20190508_182916.jpg20190508_182944.jpg20190508_181432.jpg

“Criterion only made the DBL-202”

I stumbled across several DBL-203 heads on eBay. Might be a larger capacity?

DBL-203 is a 3" head that has 3/4" holes. Same size as the Yuasa pictured above.

I got two of those Interstates but sent one to a friend.
I'm going to make a bushing so I can use my larger 203 size head with smaller .5" bars. Probably not necessary but I've read they area a bit more robust. My larger boring head says made in Yugoslavia.

“Criterion only made the DBL-202”

I stumbled across several DBL-203 heads on eBay. Might be a larger capacity?

Criterion made many styles and sizes of heads. The common heads like the DBL heads, ranged from 1.5" out to 6" in diameter but there were square heads, heads with integral carbide inserts, twin-boom heads, boring/facing heads and so on. Too bad Criterion was sold to Allied Machine but at least almost every head they ever made is still being produced.

Back