Boring Head (Wohlhaupter), Russian made

Red Baron FC

Registered
Registered
Hello. Does anyone know what kind of taper tooling is this? Recently i bought a Boring Head, Russian made. The only marking on it is USSR 3161001. The taper dimension is 2.75 inch large diameter and depth is 2 inch. It looks like L00 lathe chuck taper, but, there is no key, as on lathe chuck, and thread is on this bar in center, instead on outer of taper. Thread and bar diameter is 16mm and pitch is 4mm. I want to attach this boring head to standard steep taper tooling, so I need to know what to ask/look for.

IMG_0155.JPG

IMG_0156.JPG

IMG_0157.JPG

I'm holding my Wohlhaupter boring/facing head in my hands now . If I'm not mistaken , what you have there is a boring/facing head with some parts missing . Mine is a UPA1 made in Germany , so your taper is different . If you have a groove for stops on the side opposite of the bolts , you indeed have a facing head .

Edit . You have a facing head , the stop pin is shown in pic 3 .

I'm holding my Wohlhaupter boring/facing head in my hands now . If I'm not mistaken , what you have there is a boring/facing head with some parts missing . Mine is a UPA1 made in Germany , so your taper is different . If you have a groove for stops on the side opposite of the bolts , you indeed have a facing head .

Edit . You have a facing head , the stop pin is shown in pic 3 .

Thank you for your fast replay, but, what are you think when say "with some parts missing"? The par that is missing is tool holder, of course, but I do not know what kind of tool holder have end that fits on this head. That is my question. On Wolhaupter boring head shank attachment is different, on Chinese it is different, on Kuroda is different, it seems to me that everybody has different part that attach to tool holder.

:grin: Ain't it the truth . I never knew Wohlhaupter was made in Russia at one time , so who knows ? I've never had mine apart so I don't know what the internals look like . I'll take it home today and do some investigating . Mine has a snap ring holding some sort of mechanism into the head , I can see that much , but not much more at this point . Have you checked on Ebay for your similar head ? Dave

Last edited:
Yes. Nothing was pop-up on Ebay or anywhere on google. Maybe I put wrong words in search box. Thanks anyway.

P.S. Stefan Gotteswinter has recently uploaded an interesting video on his youtube channel about assembly and disassembly a Kuroda boring head. Look it if you are interested to see what is inside :confused 3:

Is that Kuroda also a facing head ?

It looks very similar to a Wohlhaupter, I'll have to look at the one that I have.
I don't believe that the screw is part of the machine mounting.
I believe the spindle mounting is missing from the head. Like I said, looks similar, not quite the same.
The slide does look the same. I'll take a picture of mine. There could be different models, with different functions.
My head will taper bore and face.

It is definitely missing the machine adapter piece on the mounting end, which is also part of the functioning of the boring head. You need it to make it work. It appears to be different than a Wohlhaupter (not a full copy clone.)

It might not be missing anything, the center drawbar pulls it up onto a tapered spindle. The question is, what spindle nose does it fit? Knowing that would make machining an adapter a little easier. I've never seen anything like it in the US.

Can the center drawbar be removed?

Last edited:
Back