Boring in the mill with lots of chatter. Ideas?

I have to work on mine, it won't stay engaged. I have to hold the lever to keep it from popping out. It just hasn't been enough of a problem yet to motivate me to dig into it.
The trip linkage may be broken. Very common.

I hope this helps.
I'm sure you know about H&W Repair? They have videos on this subject I believe.
This may help as well >>> = oops, it looks like I came late to the party. Don't you just love how everyone want s to help!!!!

That J-head quill power feed is a Rube Goldberg contraption of the first order - right out of the railroad engineering era. Still, I wouldn’t be without it for boring operations.

That J-head quill power feed is a Rube Goldberg contraption of the first order - right out of the railroad engineering era. Still, I wouldn’t be without it for boring operations.
You said it David.

I have to work on mine, it won't stay engaged. I have to hold the lever to keep it from popping out. It just hasn't been enough of a problem yet to motivate me to dig into it.
Slightly loosen the set screw that is in the end of the feed trip lever. It pushes up on the pin that disengages the lever, if it's too high the lever won't stay latched. Part number 144
Edit: looks like I was late to the party too.

Screen Shot 2022-01-25 at 10.01.26 PM.png

I'll have to go look at that.

Back