Boring Oil Embedded Sleeve

I had to make some oilite bushings with very thin walls -(something like .125 on 1.5" OD dia. bushings). I was going along just fine turning the OD (had already done the ID) on the secone one and it broke into about 5 pieces. I suppose my cuter was getting a little dull and I was (obvisouly) using too much pressure (depth of cut). But even being very careful I broke another one. I finally made sleeve to slip over the finished OD (not clamped by the chuck) and cut the ID. The sleeve gave enough support that I didn't have any more trouble.

Thanks guys,let me try post a pic.It work,yep this bushing is history and glazed over but going to try and correct my mistake practicing on this one before moving on to another
Joe they could be high load but its not what I order,which was just oil type sleeve bushings.

IMG_0268.JPG

In the description it just says the high load have iron in them making it withstand more load. I just wanted to try them out. You can easily tell them apart from the regular by the silver color.

There are MANY types of oil impregnated bushings available out there, for widely varying applications. Make sure you get a type that is suitable for your purpose.

Back