Boring Ti spacer

Aukai

H-M Supporter - Diamond Member
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
My friend has 6 1/4" thick spacers that have an inside diameter of 9/16, and they need to be 5/8. What would be the best way to get the size?

I would use a 3/8" boring bar, either inserts or solid carbide from Micro 100.

I have 3/16, but the holder isn't done yet, then there is the borite IB500, but I don't know the head dimension, it looks a little big.
1596525957870.png

The Borite bar probably won't fit but you can try it.

I'm thinking your going to be right.

I'd use a chucking reamer.
Aaron

My friend has 6 1/4" thick spacers that have an inside diameter of 9/16, and they need to be 5/8. What would be the best way to get the size?

9/16 = 0.5625 * 25.4 = 14.28mm <- this is the size of the hole you need the boring bar to fit into.

So round down and subtract 1 gives you 13mm (guaranteeing fit), I don't know of anyone who makes 13mm so next size down is 12mm or 1/2"::
I would perform this with a 12mm boring bar.

I have that one :encourage:

I'm going to bring this back up again with a couple more questions. The SFPM of TI is a little broad at 20-150 scfm, since I'm boring from 9/16 to 5/8 on a 1/4" thick piece what is a good starting point. Next question would be cutting oil, or mist coolant? I'm not sure if these 6 spacers are available separately, so if I mess one up, I may be buying a set....

If using carbide I'd run that at 500-700 rpm with a high positive polished insert like the aluminium specific ones. Doesn't need to be polished but the high positive inserts perform better IMO. I just mentioned the AK inserts cause chances are you probably have some already. Can run 1000 rpm for finishing if desired but 700 rpm will still give you a good finish.

I'd run mist coolant if you have it. Cooling is more important than cutting oil properties when it comes to Ti, at least for me.

Back