Boring with Sherline lathe

I have the Sherline DRO on both my lathe and my mill.

Sherline recently began selling a new chip for the DRO display. It allows the user to switch between inch and mm values on the display. I expect that I will probably buy the new chip for my mill, being that I plan to make some devices using metric plans and metric stock.

Two things that I don't like about the DRO are the poor visibility of the reference marks for the handwheels, and the handwheels not being resettable on the lathe -- for precision work.

A feature that I would like to have in a display unit is something to help with calculating and maintaining a feed rate in inch per spindle revolution. Not having such a feature, I calculate the required handwheel rotations per second at my intended spindle RPM. On my lathe, I have been using a metronome application on a smartphone to help with making the feed rate more constant as I turn the z-axis handwheel.

Using a metronome to coach your feed speed is a really cool idea.

The display unit allows one to enter backlash compensation values, in 0.0005" increments (0.01 mm with a metric leadscrew) -- the display precision of the DRO.

The inventor of the Sherline DRO, John Wettroth, registered as a member here with the user name jwet. He introduced himself in March 2021. He wrote that he invented the DRO for his own use 25 years ago, and then approached Sherline.

So mid 1990s, that makes sense. Also not surprising that it originated in the Sherline community, and was not developed in house. Sherline seems to be very open to ideas from Sherline owners, but rather conservative when designing new products (probably wise from a business standpoint).

That is a neat idea, I bet there are a lot of cheap metronomes out there, in fact there is probably a free app for smart phones.

Yes, there are many free metronomes for Apple & Android devices.

Don't worry, you can start the lathe with the drill buried in the part. The stroke of the Sherline ram is so short that we have to do that to go deep sometimes.

I think the flats on the Micro 100 bar will hold it steady enough in your tool holder but I'm not entirely sure. You'll have to try it and see how it works. Make sure the inner edge of the bar is up against the wall of the holder and tighten the screws evenly and firmly. At some point, when you have a mill running, you need to make a boring bar holder for your lathe. You can see an example of the post I made for my Sherline in this article.

You are going to find that the Sherline lathe can bore really, really accurate holes. I've been using this lathe for a long time and I'm still amazed at how accurate it is. Of course, the lathe got more accurate as the user gained experience so there is that.

Just wanted to let you know that the boring bar you recommended did a superb job.

I know this is an old thread but if you email me, jwet atsymbol mindspring dot com, I'll be happy to respond. The new DRO chip will indeed display inch or metric values on a metric or inch machine. This became necessary when Sherline made the ball screw machines with only a 2 mm lead screw- there was no inch equivalent. I had to bite the bullet and put in metric conversions and while I was at it for the 2 mm lead, I did all the other combinations in both directions. The DRO can display inch or metric units on any Sherline with a .020 pitch lead, 1 mm or 2 mm. The backlash stuff works in the native units of the leadscrew to keep things simple. The tach feature now also supports the 5 spoke encoder and the original 6 spoke encoder. There are no other changes in the new chip other than this so there is no value in updating unless you want metric or perhaps the 5 spoke Tach sensor.

Oh my goodness, I think a part of my head just exploded :).

I'll try that boring bar you linked to. I've been reluctant to try the mill b/c I'm afraid I'm going to go nuts buying extra toys to go on it. With the lathe, I'm pretty close to having all the bits and pieces that I need and just needing to get better at the operations.
You are so right about all the toys you buy after purchasing a mill. I had the Sherline Lathe for 2 years, & picked up the Sherline 2000 series Mill a year ago. I was looking at a recent 3-Part “TOY” purchase made consisting of a [Rotary Table, 4-Jaw SC chuck,+ aluminum angle table] and they damn near cost more than the mill itself
Now if I can just figure out what I’m doing with itLee

You need a mill. You are going to find that it isn't an optional thing if you plan to stay in this hobby. Sorry but the rabbit hole has already started to work on you and there is no hope! ;)

Attachments

• 414F4927-DEF8-4312-B26F-32E883542026.jpeg
    414F4927-DEF8-4312-B26F-32E883542026.jpeg
    404.6 KB · Views: 11
Took your advice about getting that Mill. Had this table/stand/storage unit for both custom made, a few months ago.
Lee

How hard is it to add the DRO unit to my Sherline 2000 Mill? I’ve purchased most everything I need as far as Tools & Attachments. The DRO is that item I’ve wanted to add.
Thanks !
Lee

How hard is it to add the DRO unit to my Sherline 2000 Mill? I’ve purchased most everything I need as far as Tools & Attachments. The DRO is that item I’ve wanted to add.
Thanks !
Lee
I don't know, but the directions seem pretty straightforward.

Back