Botched chamber reaming

cdhknives

Active User
H-M Supporter Gold Member
2 questions: 1) Is this salvagable and how, and 2) what caused it so I can NOT do it again!

Details: Chambering between centers. This is my 4th chamber ever. The first 3 went smoothly using a anti-rotation wrench and a center to push the reamer. Kludgy but it worked. I am holding the muzzle end of the bbl in the chuck (I turned the last 3/4" smaller with a lip to prevent the bbl being pushed back into the chuck). I have a steady rest about 1/2" behind the shoulder of the tenon. I backed off each steady rest finger so the chamber end will float when the reamer is cutting.

Brand new 6.5 PRC reamer from Manson. Brand new floating reamer holder from Manson. This is the only thing different from my first 3 bbls.

I am only about 1/2 way through cutting the chamber so I have a *little* metal left to correct the issue.

No your eyes are not deceiving you, there are grooves, almost like fluting, the length of the chamber including the neck and throat.

52TXmBB.jpg

I can't answer why you are getting the groves. A while back I tried a different method for cutting internal threads. They came out horrible. Scrapped the new method and went back to my tried and true method that gave me good results. Problem solved. The point of this is that if you have a method that works for you, don't change what you are doing. I would go back to what gave you good results on your previous barrels to finish the rest of the chamber.

What mickri said.
I would think that backing off steady rest screws allowed the chatter.
Chuck

The floating reamer holder would be to possibly account for some misalignment between your true running barrel and your tailstock holding the reamer. If you loosen the only thing keeping the chamber end in alignment, then everything can flop around. Reamer can move all around and so can the barrel. I'll be captain obvious and say that isn't going to work.

Thr manual I am following says the reamer pilot is supposed to hold bore alignment. Floating everywhere else is supposed to allow the pilot to hold true...

How can the reamer pilot hold alignment, if the barrel isn't supported and the reamer is allowed to float in all directions?

Back