Bought a 110 to 3Ph VFD

I'm trying a KB electronics VFD for drill press capable of speed variance and fwd/rev. KB(Galco) sells a simple VFD for $135 to turn 110v in 3 phase. The motor is a 3 phase/1 hp/ 60 hz/ 1725 century motor. It was $55 delivered on Ebay.

Just pulled the motor apart, cleaned it, lubed the shield bearings and painted it for use. I installed a 1/8" steel mounting plate w/ 4 hardened 10-24 button heads into the motor case. Also removed the end wiring cover and inside plastic shield. Won't need it as wiring is side-exited. The open hole will be wire guard shielded for computer fan cooling. Low speed reduces cooling, they recommend a 100 cfm ($10) computer fan for continuous cooling.

Now the site is back, I'll collect some pics and post. Still need to bench wire it for a test, then mount up for final use. KB electronics offers excellent phone support for questions. The manual answers most of them up front.

Bill in Idaho used DC treadmill motors for this purpose. That still might be the best route, but the Century will bolt up to existing mount. We still have to see if it delivers the goods.

Later.

Thanks to admin for getting HM on line.

Looking for some advice from those of you who have installed and are using a VFD to drive your 1 HP or less hobby machine motors................

1. The first question is about a breaker on the supply line side specified by the manual. I would think a fuse would work as well and would be less trouble to come up with and mount.

2. The second question is about the use shielded power cable between the VFD and the motor. Have any of you used regular unshielded motor cable and if so have you experienced any problems?

3. The next question is about the use of line and load reactors. The manual seems to indicate that these last items are optional depending on a number of factors. Did any of you install any of these?

Looking for what you guys are doing in the real world of the Hobby-Machinist?

Thanks,
Benny

No one responded with their experiences so this is what we did:

Intalled the VFD with a fuse rather than a breaker. Using the wall plug for disconnect. Installed existing power cable from VFD to motor without shielding as that was all we had. Did not have or install any inductor/reactors filtering in the power lines. The VFD is working in local mode from its built in control panel. No external switches or potentiometer for Start/Stop and Speed control. We will add these later when we gather the right parts and some shielded twisted-pair control wire.

I suspect that if Charley creates too much EMI noise on the power lines the police/sheriff facility next door will let him know about it. :lmao::lmao: He can make chips in his own shop any time he wants day or night. We will learn soon enough if all that protection is really needed!

Benny

As Benny said we got her hooked up and making chips, got a bit of a learning curve for setting perimeters and all it's capabilities. I set the pulleys to the fastest setting so I would have full speed range just by using the VFD. I don't think I need to use the back gears for anything now (correct me if I'm wrong). When running wide open in the top speed position on the belt/pulley it seems like it is running faster than the stated 2700 RPM, is there a chance I'm spinning too fast?

Here's some pics of the setup/install

vfd (1).JPG vfd (2).JPG vfd (3).JPG

By the way, the mounting arm is actually a swing arm for a .50 cal. machine gun so it should be bullet proof:biggrin:

I have 3 VFD's in my shop...................

None have dedicated fuses or circuit breakers.............

None use any shielded cable............

I can't hear hum on the radio from any of them.

I think most of this is good practice in a industrial application but overkill for us home shop types.

Thanks, Clueless, I kind of suspected that. Charley will be a good test for need of the "good practice" thing. The police department has a lot of sensitive equipment next door. If his VFD causes trouble it will be him in hot water not me, "I don't know who he is".:lmao::lmao::lmao:

Benny

Thanks, Clueless, I kind of suspected that. Charley will be a good test for need of the "good practice" thing. The police department has a lot of sensitive equipment next door. If his VFD causes trouble it will be him in hot water not me, "I don't know who he is".:lmao::lmao::lmao:

Benny

They got your license plate picture on that new camera/software they were installing while you were talking to them:lmao:

Charley and Benny,

"1. The first question is about a breaker on the supply line side specified by the manual. I would think a fuse would work as well and would be less trouble to come up with and mount.

2. The second question is about the use shielded power cable between the VFD and the motor. Have any of you used regular unshielded motor cable and if so have you experienced any problems?

3. The next question is about the use of line and load reactors. The manual seems to indicate that these last items are optional depending on a number of factors. Did any of you install any of these?

4. Finally for applications like the hobby machinist where there or no low voltage control circuits, PLC, computers and the like running nearby at the same time how much of this added stuff is really needed? I don't consider it a problem if Charley's radio has a hum while he machines. I know in the industrial applications these things are used as "good practice" and problems arise if not applied correctly. "

1. I just put in a service disconnect, and am using the breaker in my main entrance box.
2. I'm using 600V industrial wire from the disconnect to the VFD.
I'm using 600V industrial wire from the VFD to a 20A 3 phase female twist-lock socket.
I have a male twist-lock plug on the mill and the shaper.
3. No load reactors.
4. I cant hear any hum when I'm using either machine, (my hearing isn't all that good due to race cars, heavy equipment, loud music, etcetera...)

I still haven't found you at the shop Charley... I'll keep trying though.

I have been doing a lot of reading on vfd's for a project I am planning and from what i see the vfd if outputting more than 60hz is overdriving the motor speed. this is what i wanted for my project because
the motor was 1750 and a higher speed will work better for milling aluminum. I'm going to change the motor on a brand new mill to 3 phase just so i can do this.
steve

Keep in mind that it is possible to over-drive a motor too much. My VFD will go to 200 Hz. It would take a very well-built motor to stand that much speed before it starts to throw chunks. :yikes:

I have mine set to max out at 90 Hz and I haven't had any trouble.

Back