Bought a burke #4

What a great find and a fine American machine! I hate you!! (to be taken in the same light as "you suck!") :biggrin:

Just the right size and from the looks of things, no painting needed. I dream of finding machinery like this!

View attachment 51920

You're right.. looks great sitting by the South Bend!
Thanks for the compliments! Yup the paint is pretty good, maybe one day I'll go through it and paint it. Right now I'm just gonna get a vice and use her, she's so smooth and quiet, no bearing noise at all. I did find one minor problem that I will need to address, the f-o-r does not function with the switch. It functions f-o-f no reverse. I think the switch is wired wrong or it is wired wrong at the motor. I do have the original owners manual and it has a wiring diagram so I can get this minor detail sorted out. Every now and then I just have to turn it on and admire it........then stand back and go yup, I do suck. LOL

. Every now and then I just have to turn it on and admire it........then stand back and go yup, I do suck. LOL

Ha Ha ! I thought I was the only one that did that! :))

EDIT: Admiring it and standing there with a cold beer in your hand really enhances the feeling. :))

Last edited:
I have another couple of questions about your mill if you don't mind. Exactly how long is the drawbar minus the nut end? How does the drawbar mate to the pulley face? Does it have a thrust washer? As to the arbor, at what angle is the point, or dead center machined to, that supports the arbor? How long is the arbor assembly from the spindle nose to the arbor end? And lastly, what is the thread dia and tpi that tightens the cutter and spacers on the arbor?
Thank you for your help, Bob

By the way, that is a nice looking SB too.

I have another couple of questions about your mill if you don't mind. Exactly how long is the drawbar minus the nut end? How does the drawbar mate to the pulley face? Does it have a thrust washer? As to the arbor, at what angle is the point, or dead center machined to, that supports the arbor? How long is the arbor assembly from the spindle nose to the arbor end? And lastly, what is the thread dia and tpi that tightens the cutter and spacers on the arbor?
Thank you for your help, Bob

By the way, that is a nice looking SB too.
Woah! You don't ask for much do ya. LOL I'll have to get back to you on this one, after I make a list of the questions to take to my shop.

I watched the video. Do NOT let the cutter dwell in 1 spot. It will dull it.

I had a #4 as my first REAL mill. It was a real machine alright,and would take good cuts in steel. I had to have the table re cut top and dovetails too. It had gotten a convex curve to it over the years,from having the T slot squeezed from tightening down the vise.

I would have LOVED to have found a vertical attachment back then,but never did. I made a simple power feed as mine was missing everything. I had to make up a jackshaft outfit to get different speeds. It did have a Master gear head motor(unless I added that too). Eventually I bought a large mill drill,then my Bridgeport type,which I've been very happy with. I also acquired a very nice Harrison universal horizontal mill and a Deckel fp1. But,I'm so used to the Bridgey type,I seldom use the others. That Harrison WILL eliminate metal,though!! Gear head. very powerful and smooth. They finished everything in turquoise which I COULD do without!!!

Thanks for the advise George. I would like a bridgy type mill but I just do not have the room for one. The little Burke works well for my hobbies and what I do with it. It was easy to take apart and a couple guys could take it down to my basement. I think I have all the stuff for the original power feed for the table, it's in a box. I might some day try to adapt a electric power feed to it so as not to rob any power from the cutter. But for now it works fine for me, besides the best way to keep the handles shiny is to use them, LOL.

Wow, what a great find, how did I miss that one? ;)

I would love to see pictures of the power feed parts sometime.

Wow, what a great find, how did I miss that one? ;)

I would love to see pictures of the power feed parts sometime.
That would be easy, they are all in a box as I don't use it. I just took apart this mill and moved it again as I am moving, heavy little sucker.

Back