Bought a few QCTPs to compare quality in inexpensive brands.

It sounds like you will have plenty of holders by the time your lathe gets here!
Funny thing is there are no machine tool places in las Vegas to see anything anymore, there use to be plenty but everything's online pretty much. So I either have to travel to go see it or if its not to expensive buy it. I am not planning on or keeping a bunch of different sets...

I currently have 3 different AXA starter set brands soon to be 4 and a few old off brand tool holders, When my lathe gets here I will make a choice of what brand to run with, I'm not really a fan of miss matched sets unless I have no other choice, I am fortunate I still work and am single so I can splurge a bit on toys..

Ill figure out what to do with the rest when I'm done checking out and comparing it all... That's a bit down the road for now....

My PM1440 still has the original tool post. I did modify it so I don't need to use a wrench to change angles. The original PM tool holders are fine except for the parting tool one. I've got quite a few Shars holders. They go on sale about once a year and work fine for my use. I have a couple of the ones that take 3/4" shanks (BAX. ) The no-name holders are actually OK but the set screws have to be replaced. I like to keep all my tools mounted in holders.

My PM1440 still has the original tool post. I did modify it so I don't need to use a wrench to change angles. The original PM tool holders are fine except for the parting tool one. I've got quite a few Shars holders. They go on sale about once a year and work fine for my use. I have a couple of the ones that take 3/4" shanks (BAX. ) The no-name holders are actually OK but the set screws have to be replaced. I like to keep all my tools mounted in holders.
Aloris is having a sale right now 20% but i'm not ready to go that route just yet...

Shars, I'm looking at their tool Catalog, its rather impressive..

Hello, just an update on some of the mid priced QCTP in the wild... I have been doing tons of research on this topic, this week I found some significant and useful info on some of the brands. I also tried to find authentic brands - ones that specialize in tools, while ignoring clones and generic brands that also sold umbrellas. My mid range QCTP list isn't complete yet.

While looking I found that:
Colton AXA has just 4 Holder types #1XL / #2XL / #4 / #7... Spare parts available - not listed.
Shars AXA has #1 / #1XL / #2 / #2XL #4 / #5 / #7/ #10 / #16 /#41 / #53 along with multiple letter types of each #, Spare parts available.
Accusize AXA has #1 / #1T / #2 / #2T / #4 / #5 / #7/ #10 / #41... Spare parts available - not listed.

Looks like I need to get a Shars starter set too..

If you know of a mid range brand QCTP that should make this list please let me know.
More to come...!

Thanks Mike.

I suspect you would find a good bit of variance if you bought multiple sets from the same vendor. You only need one toolpost but a whole bunch of holders. On a 12x36 you will want a BXA toolpost for the additional rigidity.

John

I suspect you would find a good bit of variance if you bought multiple sets from the same vendor. You only need one toolpost but a whole bunch of holders. On a 12x36 you will want a BXA toolpost for the additional rigidity.

John
Hi Matthewsx. I believe your right and will most likely get some BXA down the road...

I've been digging around a bunch of sites, and dug up tons of Info - My incoming lathe a PM-1236T has a CH around 1.20 to 1.24, Dorian shows their AXA Tool-Post has a CH Min .87 Optimal 1.25 and Max 1.875 - I currently have 18+ AXA Tool holders with 1/2" tooling and boring bars and bags of Carbide that came with my old lathe, the issue I have is the Tool-Post that came with the lathe is a piston type that I want to change.

I would like to start with the stuff I currently have and down the road get some BXA tools for the rigidity if needed, I'm pretty sure I can have the best of both worlds with this new lathe, the extra stuff I'm getting now is for comparison sake, ill test it all out and keep what fits best on the lathe, then part out the rest.

I am really learning a lot working on this thread about mid range QCTP, all the research, ( who knew that the set screws on a Shars tool holder have a Dog Cup on the compression end ) all the hands on & fun I'm having is money well spent.

Thanks for the input, Mike.

Last edited:
i have about 35 CXA holders covering a lot of brands and suppliers, including Aloris, Phase II, Shars, All Industrial, etc. I have found NO functional differences among them. Frankly, except for Aloris, most look like they came off the same line in China, with whatever setscrews, thumbwheels, lockwashers and studs that happened to be around that day.

There is an unpredictable use of either metric or imperial setscrews, either 5mm hex or the nearest imperial size. I have this belief that the idea of "soft" setscrews came about by guys using imperial hex keys on metric screws...seems to fit until you crank down, then it looks soft. I have not found a soft set screw on any holder.

I now buy on price.

I would like to start with the stuff I currently have and down the road get some BXA tools for the rigidity if needed,
I seriously doubt a BXA will give you more rigidity over an AXA, provided you have a quality QCTP. The rigidity weakness on the 1236, 1340, and 1440GT is all related to the compound, not the size of the QCTP. Yes, with a BXA you can run tools that are 0.125" thicker shank than on an AXA, but that isn't going to significantly improve rigidity, if at all. If you really want improved rigidity you should consider a solid tool post. Don't fool yourself.

I have about 50 different BXA QC tool holders including Dorian, Aloris, PM, Phase II, and All Industrial. H&H, and CDCO. The Dorian and Aloris holders take 3/8-16 threaded set screws, and alghough not dog pointed, are good quality. All the imports take M8 thread, and I have replaced all the set screws in the imports with higher quality alternatives.. I've tried several varieties of replacement set screws and the best I've found are sold by McMaster. They are hardened to RC45, Class 6g thread, with a dog point and a decent black oxide finish.

Last edited:
Back