Bought a few QCTPs to compare quality in inexpensive brands.

Haven't we been over this before?

and

Hello..

Yes Sir absolutely we have, and since our conversations in the " Just ordered the PM-1236T Lathe - Need some help please...! " thread, I verified that AXA will work on my lathe... It was really more of a statement than question in that post, while making conversation with Just for fun.

Also since that thread I have purchased 5 different complete AXA QCTP sets to compare and an AXA Dorian TP arriving tomorrow that may or may not really be a Dorian post that will work just fine on the PM-1236T that's hopefully on a boat heading my way.

Last but not least, amazon finally dropped off your book...

Thanks for keeping an eye on me, Mike.

My recently acquired 1340 lathe came with an Aloris post and 5 BXA holders. I wanted/needed more holders and went with eBay specials at $20 a pop. The difference is significant, especially in the hardware, but to be honest I’m sure even the cheapest tool holders are not going to be a limiting factor in this newbie’s capabilities.

My recently acquired 1340 lathe came with an Aloris post and 5 BXA holders. I wanted/needed more holders and went with eBay specials at $20 a pop. The difference is significant, especially in the hardware, but to be honest I’m sure even the cheapest tool holders are not going to be a limiting factor in this newbie’s capabilities.
lol me too, I'm so new that I could attach a cutting tool on my lathe with chewing gum and get the same results.. :)

I use a Dorian toolpost and holders from Aloris, Dorian, CDCO (a lot of them - used to get them for $8ea (BXA)), Accusize, and probable a couple others. They all work, but I've replaced the screws in all the imports except the Accusize, which seem to have pretty nice screws. One box from McMaster goes a long ways...

I have definitely run across screws that fit no wrench, metric or imperial, with loose and/or rough threads.

What I really wanted to mention is that the Accusize holders, which *look* great have pretty wide tolerances in the tool slot. While mine (again, BXA) will nominally hold a 3/4" shank, a few of them do not (they might if the tool was hammered in, but they are ever-so-slightly under 3/4". I have a broad enough range of tools (and holders) that I haven't addressed that other than transferring some of my 3/8" shank tools to the tighter Accusize holders.

My CDCO holders are the most roughly finished, and they are shorter than my other holders (along the length of the installed tool), but they are square and appear to have ground dovetail bearing surfaces.

GsT

I use a Dorian toolpost and holders from Aloris, Dorian, CDCO (a lot of them - used to get them for $8ea (BXA)), Accusize, and probable a couple others. They all work, but I've replaced the screws in all the imports except the Accusize, which seem to have pretty nice screws. One box from McMaster goes a long ways...

I have definitely run across screws that fit no wrench, metric or imperial, with loose and/or rough threads.

What I really wanted to mention is that the Accusize holders, which *look* great have pretty wide tolerances in the tool slot. While mine (again, BXA) will nominally hold a 3/4" shank, a few of them do not (they might if the tool was hammered in, but they are ever-so-slightly under 3/4". I have a broad enough range of tools (and holders) that I haven't addressed that other than transferring some of my 3/8" shank tools to the tighter Accusize holders.

My CDCO holders are the most roughly finished, and they are shorter than my other holders (along the length of the installed tool), but they are square and appear to have ground dovetail bearing surfaces.

GsT
Hi, ya so far I found that Accusize holders have the most precise measurements of the holders i've seen thus far... I'm not quite yet a TP holder guru but so far the Accusize, Colton and Shars holder have a nice finish and appear to be decent quality, compared to my current no name set with a heavily stamped China on them their all a luxury.. I have three more 6 pc sets on the way to compare then ill post my finding....

If anyone knows of another set I should add to my current list " Accusize, Bostar, Colton, Phase II, Shars " to compare let me know - looking for known Branded 6 pc QCTP sets under $300.00 from tool companies, Clones or tools sold on websites that also sell inflatable pool toys wont make the list..

Thanks, Mike.

Last edited:
Just so people know I am buying these tool post, Nothing free, donated or returned when I'm done. Plus this is a good way to keep track of what was bought, from & how much, Does not include Tax & Shipping

This Phase II AXA set and the Bostar AXA set are from eBay.

Phase2buy.jpg
Bostarbuy.jpg

This Shars AXA set is from Shars direct.
1679444422451.png
This Colton AXA set was bought from All Industrial over the phone.
ColtonAXA.jpg
This Accusize AXA set is from Amazon, Note: a 6 Pc set is $262.00 as of Mar 2023. I bought this set to replace my old set.
AccusizeAXA.jpg

Thanks, Mike.

Last edited:
best I've found are sold by McMaster. They are hardened to RC45, Class 6g thread, with a dog point and a decent black oxide finish.
I use McMaster-Carr for a lot of hardware. They have a large selection and really fast service. I ended up with two tool holders with imperial threads. PIA as I try to only use metric for every thing including my own projects. All of my tool holders have dog tips except the two with imperial threads. The BAX tool post that came on my 1440 lathe has never seemed floppy. I keep the compound, retracted & locked unless I need to use it. I don't use it for threading (30°+-). I have enough trouble keeping track of what I'm doing w/o having to twist twice as many knobs.

Why are you buying all the different QCTPs? One would have saved quite a bit by starting out with what you had and learned with that. As mentioned they all will work, but BXA is A better fit in particular if you need heavier or stiffer tooling. One may use a 1 or 1.25" boring bar for deep boring, AXA won't support that. Whatever, seems like spending a lot of money in the long run. The QCTP sets as mentioned, are usually wasted money.

Hello..

Yes Sir absolutely we have, and since our conversations in the " Just ordered the PM-1236T Lathe - Need some help please...! " thread, I verified that AXA will work on my lathe... It was really more of a statement than question in that post, while making conversation with Just for fun.

Also since that thread I have purchased 5 different complete AXA QCTP sets to compare and an AXA Dorian TP arriving tomorrow that may or may not really be a Dorian post that will work just fine on the PM-1236T that's hopefully on a boat heading my way.

Last but not least, amazon finally dropped off your book...

Thanks for keeping an eye on me, Mike.
Man, you really need that lathe:p

Back