Bought a grinder at auction and not sure i need it

dado5

Registered
Registered
I bought this at a recent auction. 1hp, has 2 diamond whhels. I pretty much only use hss lathe tools since I'm a beginner. Just getting started with mill as well. Is this only good to grind carbide tooling? Shoild i change the wheels or just hang on to it until I'm more mature as a machinist. I have an 8" baldor grinder which grinds my bits now pretty well
IMG_2818.JPG

IMG_2819.JPG
IMG_2819.JPG

Aluminum oxide and CBN wheels are available to fit that grinder which would make it a nice tool for your HSS tools. Just sealed the deal on a similar grinder myself.

You can send it to me to use until you decide to use brazed carbide tooling. :laughing:

Or you could put wheels for your HSS bits and use it.

Nice grinder, you will evolve to wanting and needing it. Hang on to it!

As it is set up (one coarse diamond wheel and one medium) is it just for brazed carbide tooling? seems like a very limited use. Cant use it for index carbide right, they are disposable.

Dado, you can use that grinder for HSS lathe tools and brazed carbide tools. Just need the right wheels. You can have a green carbide wheel on one end to shape the brazed carbide and a diamond to final sharpen it. Don't underestimate the efficacy of brazed carbide tools - when shaped properly and sharpened, they are really good tools. For your HSS tools, CBN will work well for you. This type of grinder will allow you to grind all faces of the tool, including the rake angles so it is definitely a keeper.

You are correct. For inserts, you either use a machine like a Accu-finish to sharpen them or dump the insert when dull.

I don't know what you paid for it , I assume no where close to what a new one would cost . I would keep it . I never did like those wheels with the holes in them . I much liked the solid diamond wheels . Why aren't you using brazed carbide bits ? Your new grinder would work awesome on those bits .

Good score. I would guess you can't sell that one for enough to get diamond wheels for your 8", so maybe store it until you have a need for a grinder with diamond wheels (which I'm sure you will eventually need).

Or, if you don't have room I could store it for you. :frog:

Don't sweat it, start using it. Those diamonds will grind the HSS just fine. Of course, be kind - use your other bench grinder to rough in the tool shape and finish it up on that grinder. Be diligent about working the whole face of the wheel. It is too bad that both the wheels are "coarse" - still, if you use just very light pressure and a few passes you can get a surprising smooth finish.

I have a similar pedestal tool grinder (except 10" - which makes for pricey wheels and one face & one radial wheel) and I grind brazed carbide (which ends up grinding some of the steel base) and HSS - it works beautifully. The brazed carbide is a great tool bit. Especially if you are cutting some ugly nasty material (i.e. welded / flame cut steel) - you can touch up the edge every pass, gives you the hardness of carbide, and still cheap. I find the diamond cuts so much better than a green wheel.

Did you get the miter tool that slides on the table? I ended up making my own (when machines go to the auction - the small pieces seem to disappear).

Try it, let us know how you make out.

http://www.hobby-machinist.com/threads/carbide-grinding-implements.55905/#post-460884
http://www.hobby-machinist.com/threads/carboloy-excello-tool-grinder.37715/

Back