Bought a Jet 20 inch 1.5HP Drill Press -Electrical Help Please.

Janderso

Jeff Anderson
H-M Platinum Supporter
I sold the shaper (traded actually) now I have room for a drill press.
Question for you electricians.
This is 115/230V motor. The max load is 18/9.
I have 240 access within 36" of the final location.
What advantages are there in wiring it 220? 230?
18 amps is a big load on a 115 circuit. It's a 20 amp outlet.
More torque? More efficient if I wire it with the higher voltage?
I am taking it to the shop with 2 other guys tomorrow. It's awkward to move.
Thanks guys.IMG_3860.JPGIMG_3861.JPGIMG_3862.JPG

The only advantage to high volts is you can use smaller wire and lesser rated switches. There would be no difference in torque/horsepower. Probably best to use high volts with a motor of that horsepower. That guard around the chuck is pretty laughable!

The only advantage to high volts is you can use smaller wire and lesser rated switches. There would be no difference in torque/horsepower. Probably best to use high volts with a motor of that horsepower.

Agreed.

If you were really concerned about circuit loading, the NEC calls for a max of 80%. On a 20 amp circuit, that's 16 amps max. So you would need a 30 amp 120 volt circuit, a PITA. Best to go with the 240 volt version. You will need to break both lines with the ON/OFF switch. But otherwise, no change and a decidedly lower current that will operate well on a 15 amp circuit.

Higher volts less amperage. If you have a 240 box near with room it would be better for you.

I may be the outlier on this issue but I usually run out of breakers in the panel before I run out of devices to connect.

Your 1.5 HP drill press will draw that 18 amps on 120 volts at full load - most drill operation will be in the range of idling to half-power and there's plenty of capacity on a 20A 120 volt circuit.

My method is to run a 'shop plugs' circuit or two around the perimeter to the places where a drill press, hacksaw or whatever is located. Maybe 3 or 4 (or more) outlets per circuit.

I'm the only one in the shop, so it's pretty unlikely that two or more devices on a circuit will be in use simultaneously. Plenty of reserve capacity on the circuit.

If you really want to 'gild the lily' you can run a 240 volt 3- wire (plus ground) circuit and put in a mix of 120 and 240 outlets - the caveat is that the breaker feeding the circuit must be a 2-pole, common trip. That arrangement lets you plug in either 120 or 240 volt devices as needed.

YMMV

Stu

"Make sure that your next project is beyond your skill and requires tools you don't have. You won't regret it. "

Very true about one machine at a time.
My son, the electrician warned me about capacity when we were wiring the shop.
I had to remind him, It’s only me buddy.

Very true about one machine at a time.
My son, the electrician warned me about capacity when we were wiring the shop.
I had to remind him, It’s only me buddy.

You may be the only person in the shop, but that doesn't necessarily mean there will only be one machine running at a time. Often times I set up something in a saw or the shaper while running one of the mills or one of the lathes. The saws and shaper shut off automatically so there's no need to monitor them.

All the machines in my shop that can run on 220 are wired to do so. I'm not sure it impacts the electric bill very much, but it does allow running multiple machines at one time without worrying about overloading anything. Last year during a remodeling project we had a dedicated 100 amp sub panel installed for the shop. There are currently 5-20 amp 220 volt circuits, and 1-50 amp 220 volt circuit running machinery.

The main purpose of installing the dedicated panel was so I could wire up the 15 hp rotary phase converter. Somehow that doesn't look like it's going to happen in the near future. All the 3 phase machines (4 so far) seem to be doing just fine on the static converters. I realize they can only run at about 2/3 their rated power, but in the 20 years some have been in the shop there's never been a time when they were worked so hard they either overheated, or didn't have the power to do the job.

I guess if I already had a 120v plug near the location I would try that before changing it. Since you have a mill it's likely any really heavy drilling would be with that so unlikely to trip the 20 amp breaker.

1ohn

All the machines in my shop that can run on 220 are wired to do so. I'm not sure it impacts the electric bill very much, but it does allow running multiple machines at one time without worrying about overloading anything. Last year during a remodeling project we had a dedicated 100 amp sub panel installed for the shop. There are currently 5-20 amp 220 volt circuits, and 1-50 amp 220 volt circuit running machinery.
projectnut,
Sounds like you have your machine tools set up ready to work when needed.
That's my goal in the end. To be able to step up to a machine and hit the go button without having to deal with rigging an extension cord or unplugging one to plug in another.
Even though it's just me and I'm not in any hurry, I know what I like.

The drill press is going next to the mill, if I have a large piece I can set the tables at the same height if needed for support or work holding.
I miss having a drill press, I've been using the mill. Yeah, it does the job, but a drill press is just easier and quicker to get the job done.

Shhh, I'm telling my wife I am doing some horse trading to pay for it. We kind of made an agreement we were done buying stuff, after the fire. :)
Just this last piece, wink.

Back