Bought an Alexander 2CG tool grinder

COMachinist

Active User
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Hi All
I have ton of 4 flute and 2 flute end mills tthat needs sharping and have been looking for a grinder. I saw a vintage Alexander 2CG for sale free shipping It looks new and it was from an eastate sale. It has all the parts and factory spaner wtenches and a 5c chuck on it. I see these in real used shape going for over a grand and more. This thing looks like it has hardly been used.600.00 to my door. I hope I get over this Vertigo soon I can’t afford it tomuch longer.
CH

6FBA2C4F-2321-4F8E-BEAD-CE6421F7530F.jpeg

9D2C60CF-F360-4C01-9CD6-0F085E45927E.jpeg

4043021B-A1CF-4204-A12E-37144ABBA001.jpeg

7891BFEE-1A94-4CE3-8016-3CCD0BC1D36F.jpeg

069EA63D-02A8-4DD2-A3A1-F6451FD8F70D.jpeg

04448758-D9CD-4F8E-9B53-A64065056096.jpeg

Unless there is a feature on the machine that allows the work head to tilt back, it is not suited to sharpen (the ends of) end mills; this machine was made to sharpen "D" type tapered or straight engraving cutters sharpened with a single cutting edge, with an end radius being possible, and also 3 or 4 faceted engraving points. They have no capability to grind spiral flutes. Having said that, it looks like a nice machine for the work it was intended for.

Unless there is a feature on the machine that allows the work head to tilt back, it is not suited to sharpen (the ends of) end mills; this machine was made to sharpen "D" type tapered or straight engraving cutters sharpened with a single cutting edge, with an end radius being possible, and also 3 or 4 faceted engraving points. They have no capability to grind spiral flutes. Having said that, it looks like a nice machine for the work it was intended for.
Yeah I know but I have an idea to make a head and arm for it to do end mills. It will do square Broaches and some other things also. 600 is to cheap to not pick it up.
Thanks
CH

I have to agree that the price was right, especially with free shipping! I have a Model 500 Gorton that will do endmill ends, but do not use it for suchlike, only engraving points, and have a Norton T&C grinder with Harig air bearing attachment for end mills.

Vertigo love it , I've had it since I lost hearing in my left ear. Meclizine I think is the drug they give me . It helps ALOT.

Vertigo love it , I've had it since I lost hearing in my left ear. Meclizine I think is the drug they give me . It helps ALOT.
Yep that is the drug I was on this week. Getting better every day but still can't get out in the shop.
CH

GreatOld1
Thanks for the PDF. I get mine tomrrow. I think I to find some collets, not real sure whitch ones I need. Some say the 16mm and some say the 20mm ones fit. Just have to wait untill it gets here to tell for sure. That is only bad thing about vintage machines. No psrts around. I’m going to make a end mill grinding head based the Jim Schoedermade in the Home Shop Machinists. Need to find some extra wheel hubs or make them, for quick wheel changes so I don’t have to dismount the wheels.
Good luck with your Deckle.
CH

Back