[4]

Bought my first lathe

[3]
[10] Like what you see?
Click here to donate to this forum and upgrade your account!

8mpg

Registered
Well I had come here seeking advice in the past about a lathe and went back and forth with different opinions. I had a huge desire for old equipment rather than the new import stuff (though was about to give up and buy a Grizzly). Well, I bought an oddball lathe which may or may not be a horrible idea. I originally was going to pay $2k for this lathe but after looking at it...seeing it leaks oil...it tried to have a small electrical fire when starting it (but it ran!)... I got it for a great deal.

Its a Cazeneuve HBX 360B. Its a French lathe that has a lot of great features and a couple things that makes it unique.

Threading is supposed to be a dream. I has microstops for the threading and can thread down to the shoulder. It cuts a ton of metric/imperial (technically whitworth) threads and uses this chart. You move the slider on the bottom and a handle on the side to line up the grid to what you want to thread. Its unique in it doesnt have a threading dial. You can engage the half nuts anytime you want. It uses a worm gear rather than threaded rod. It also keeps the worm gear in a continuous oil bath.

stops:

There was smoke originally in what looked like the electrical panel but it looks fine inside.

The back panel leans out because it comes with a hydraulic tracer. No taper attachment though. Has a coolant pump.

So the main thing that sets this lathe apart from most is the spindle and motor. The motor is used to drive a hydraulic pump. The whole lathe runs off hydraulics. The spindle is hydraulic driven and goes from 40-2500RPM and supposedly the torque is amazing.

Anyways, here she is. It will get cleaned up and gone through. New hoses and probably new seals on the variators which control the speed. The previous shop has a couple oil absoring pads under the variators due to the leak.

Last edited:

MAKEITOUTOFWOOD

H-M Supporter - Silver Member
H-M Supporter - Silver Member ($10)
Congratulations! I'm sure it will serve you well. Enjoy

machPete99

Registered
Thats a decent looking lathe, looks like lots of support around the carriage. What size/capacity is it?

Cadillac

Registered
Very nice score expectially for your first lathe. That is a top of the line manufacturer. You’ll have your hands full. :encourage:

8mpg

Registered
I forgot to add in my first post that I got the lathe for $500.

Thanks for all the motivation guys

Janderso

H-M Supporter - Sustaining Member
H-M Platinum Supporter ($50)
$500 is a very good price. 16" of swing is a heavy duty lathe.
Congratulations.
Any tooling?

Cadillac

Registered
I forgot to add in my first post that I got the lathe for $500.

Thanks for all the motivation guys
That deserves a you suck. Great score

pstemari

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter - Gold Member ($25)
16" and up lathes around the PNW seem to go for a substantial discount, probably just due to the small market for manual lathes that are too big for the average garage shop.

Still, having a Hardinge-style dog clutch and threading stops is super-sweet.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

markba633csi

Ah those French, always doing things differently. Good score.

eugene13

Registered
I operated a CAZENEUVE many years ago in a little tool and die shop in Riverside California, best machine ever.

8mpg

Registered
$500 is a very good price. 16" of swing is a heavy duty lathe.
Congratulations.
Any tooling?
Unfortunately no tooling and only a single 3 jaw chuck. The other not so fun part is this thing uses a proprietary backplate. I'll probably have to get one made if I want a 4 jaw chuck or a collet chuck.

The place selling the lathe didn't even have guys working at the shop anymore that knew how to operate manual machines. They are all using CNC. They may have more stuff for the lathe but no one knows what would have gone with it or where it is.

westerner

If you are gonna be stupid, ya gotta be TOUGH!
Ah those French, always doing things differently.
I would suggest cruising Craigslist for a Peugeot car, of similar vintage. Buy the car, fix ITS issues, and revel in the engineering revealed. Perhaps that will prepare you for your journey in this lathe adventure. It is good that you are in it at a very low investment, and I wish you all the best in your endeavours. :big grin:

markba633csi

Yeah, Peugeot and Citroen- lift the hood and watch the mechanic's jaw drop
I worked for a French engineer, they love complexity
LOL
now all you need is a Huron mill

Last edited:

Dabbler

Administrator Trainee
Staff member
8mpg, if they are welcoming people, keep going back a couple of times a year, so that if they find the 4 jaw and other tooling, they can let you know. Otherwise the are likely to forget you and throw them out (horrors!!!)

8mpg

Registered
Dabbler, Im was going to email them and see if they would let me take a look around. They have a lot of old machines they dont use anymore. They were happy to get rid of this lathe for the real estate. Thanks for the advice.

vocatexas

Registered
A lot of old machines they don't use anymore? Do tell...

C-Bag

Ned Ludd's bro
Congratulations!

I learn something new every time I log in here. What a machine! I also worked for a French company for 5yrs and was always amazed with the stuff that would show up from the parent company. Some of it we had a problem with but all of it was ingenious. I guess you could only expect a lathe this intricate from the country who first perfected the metal lathe.

Good luck and keep us posted. For me it's a really daunting beast with incredible potential.

ddickey

Whoa, width of bed, 13".

8mpg

Registered
Well, while trying to fix this thing (oil leak) I managed to mangle a pin that holds the lower variator 1/2 pulley on. Been cleaning and cleaning and cleaning. The old owner seems to have used oil as a cutting fluid. Im assuming the original part of the pump for the coolant was dead because they were using an electric submersible pump. I dont think I will ever use coolant so I will probably just drain the tank and leave the hoses off. I need to get a few hydraulic hoses made. Im guessing they are lower pressure hoses.

If anyone can help make a new pin, please let me know. I need a lathe to make a part for my lathe :rolleyes:
Made a post here about it: https://www.hobby-machinist.com/threads/need-a-custom-pin-made.73964/

If you havent seen one, this is where the magic happens. The lathe uses a variator (variable pulley) run off hydraulics to raise and lower the spindle speed. The bottom pulley will squeeze together pushing the belt out to a larger diameter of the pulley, thus increasing the speed. Amazing this was designed in the 60's.

Here is a great video on how it works:

Moper361

Registered
Yeah, Peugeot and Citroen- lift the hood and watch the mechanic's jaw drop
I worked for a French engineer, they love complexity
LOL
now all you need is a Huron mill
You think there cars and machinery are complex try there women ,I had a French bird in tow for a while but believe me never again

markba633csi

Moper: my french boss had a german wife- so there you go... Mr. and Mrs. Complex :cupcake:

[6]
[5] [7]