Bought my first lathe

8mpg

Registered
Registered
Well I had come here seeking advice in the past about a lathe and went back and forth with different opinions. I had a huge desire for old equipment rather than the new import stuff (though was about to give up and buy a Grizzly). Well, I bought an oddball lathe which may or may not be a horrible idea. I originally was going to pay $2k for this lathe but after looking at it...seeing it leaks oil...it tried to have a small electrical fire when starting it (but it ran!)... I got it for a great deal.

Its a Cazeneuve HBX 360B. Its a French lathe that has a lot of great features and a couple things that makes it unique.

Threading is supposed to be a dream. I has microstops for the threading and can thread down to the shoulder. It cuts a ton of metric/imperial (technically whitworth) threads and uses this chart. You move the slider on the bottom and a handle on the side to line up the grid to what you want to thread. Its unique in it doesnt have a threading dial. You can engage the half nuts anytime you want. It uses a worm gear rather than threaded rod. It also keeps the worm gear in a continuous oil bath.

stops:

There was smoke originally in what looked like the electrical panel but it looks fine inside.

The back panel leans out because it comes with a hydraulic tracer. No taper attachment though. Has a coolant pump.

So the main thing that sets this lathe apart from most is the spindle and motor. The motor is used to drive a hydraulic pump. The whole lathe runs off hydraulics. The spindle is hydraulic driven and goes from 40-2500RPM and supposedly the torque is amazing.

Anyways, here she is. It will get cleaned up and gone through. New hoses and probably new seals on the variators which control the speed. The previous shop has a couple oil absoring pads under the variators due to the leak.

Last edited:
Thats a decent looking lathe, looks like lots of support around the carriage. What size/capacity is it?

Very nice score expectially for your first lathe. That is a top of the line manufacturer. You’ll have your hands full. :encourage:

$500 is a very good price. 16" of swing is a heavy duty lathe.
Congratulations.
Any tooling?

16" and up lathes around the PNW seem to go for a substantial discount, probably just due to the small market for manual lathes that are too big for the average garage shop.

Still, having a Hardinge-style dog clutch and threading stops is super-sweet.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Back