Bought my first lathe

Well, while trying to fix this thing (oil leak) I managed to mangle a pin that holds the lower variator 1/2 pulley on. Been cleaning and cleaning and cleaning. The old owner seems to have used oil as a cutting fluid. Im assuming the original part of the pump for the coolant was dead because they were using an electric submersible pump. I dont think I will ever use coolant so I will probably just drain the tank and leave the hoses off. I need to get a few hydraulic hoses made. Im guessing they are lower pressure hoses.

If anyone can help make a new pin, please let me know. I need a lathe to make a part for my lathe :rolleyes:
Made a post here about it: https://www.hobby-machinist.com/threads/need-a-custom-pin-made.73964/

If you havent seen one, this is where the magic happens. The lathe uses a variator (variable pulley) run off hydraulics to raise and lower the spindle speed. The bottom pulley will squeeze together pushing the belt out to a larger diameter of the pulley, thus increasing the speed. Amazing this was designed in the 60's.

Here is a great video on how it works:

Yeah, Peugeot and Citroen- lift the hood and watch the mechanic's jaw drop
I worked for a French engineer, they love complexity
LOL
now all you need is a Huron mill
You think there cars and machinery are complex try there women ,I had a French bird in tow for a while but believe me never again

Moper: my french boss had a german wife- so there you go... Mr. and Mrs. Complex :cupcake:

Back