Bought My First Rustpile...er, Mill.

rhino

Active User
Registered
Looked at several vertical mills in the $2K range, but settled on a much older, smaller and cheaper one. Don't look like much now, but you gents have shown me much worse brought back to life.

Benchmaster MV-1. Just about my age(65).

bmastr.jpg

Old school cool! She looks like a great little project. The only downside to machines like this is fitting them up with the right tooling, hopefully that is not a problem for you.

Cool:-$

Man that is a WONDERFUL machine. You will love it. Sturdy for their size and nicely set up to operate. And not easy find either! Good for you!

Bernie

nice little mill, I'd like to have one of them set up horizontal myself
steve

Can't post picture, so we'll do it text-style:

Got the mill home in the trunk of the Chevy. Imagine a furniture dolly with a pile of greasy, rusty, (heavy) metal pieces on it. Time for degreaser and re-lubing.

Everything looks as advertized. Only needs a little "detailing":

- Table handwheel has had the handle busted off - taking a chunk of the wheel with it.
Going to fill the gap with CI rod, and replicate the handle.
- Motor runs, but all the wiring needs replaced.
- Drawbar is a mess: much too long threaded rod with a stack of washers and plumbing fittings on it.
- Colletts look like the originals... kinda bashed up on the end.
- On the base cabinet, I want to make an iron pipe 'scabbard' for the knee screw so that things stored inside - like vices etc. won't be able to damage the leadscrew.

Thought about painting it red to match the HF lathe, but p'bly going original green.

Benchasters are very cool mills, almost small enough for your work desk :))

If you decide to restore it, please post updates. I love seeing machinery restored.

Just got a message from the board that it's been over a month since I posted! Time flies when you're elbow-deep in de-greaser and paint!

Picture soon.

Base cabinet is cleaned and painted dark grey. "Scabbard" for the knee screw is made. Base, column, head, knee, motor mounts are painted. All bearing and seals for the head are here. CI rod is here. Looking at various 'ball turner' tools for the new crank handle. Plan is to get the mill body on the cabinet this weekend, then start on the saddle and bed. Need to turn a tool to hold the 'lower upper' seal to cut the outer ring off. Current project is a rolling tool table about 53 x 24 inches. 12-ton press on one end, two grinders (coarse and fine), finger brake, polisher, vise on top, storage below.

Have to use some of my money before the adult(?) kids suck it all up!

Back