Bought the Precession Matthews DRO, Now the fun really begins

chiroone

Registered
Registered
Well, I bit the bullet and purchased the PM DRO for my 835s. At about $500, I could not resist price. It has glass scales and universal mounting brackets. I’ve never mounted one of these before, hopefully it won’t be too much of an ordeal. My understanding, I’m going to have to drill some holes in the cast-iron base and table of the 835 and then possibly have to construct some custom brackets. However, I hear it’s not so much of an ordeal that it’s not possible.

And pointers would be very appreciated

I am interested to see your results. I would like to put one on mine too.
I have used my 835 almost everyday since I got it in the shop!

Well, I bit the bullet and purchased the PM DRO for my 835s. At about $500, I could not resist price. It has glass scales and universal mounting brackets. I’ve never mounted one of these before, hopefully it won’t be too much of an ordeal. My understanding, I’m going to have to drill some holes in the cast-iron base and table of the 835 and then possibly have to construct some custom brackets. However, I hear it’s not so much of an ordeal that it’s not possible.

And pointers would be very appreciated
I don't want to hijack your post but I am seriously considering the PM 835S and was wondering what you think about this machine? Thanks, Kevin

The PM835 is a solid machine, weighs in at like 1,400 pounds. More solid than a dovetail type machine and so far, although my use has been limted, it will chew through most everything.

It is an interesting machine, the top half is from Taiwan, the bottom from China. Everything is tight as can be and according to my dial indicator, it seems to hold .001 during the entire travel of the X axis.

Tell you this one thing, it was a real PITA getting off the pallet. If you get one, let me know, I will tell you how I got it off w/o killing myself very much

BTW, ordered the DRO last week, will post the unboxing ceremony when it gets here.

I just started installing my DRO this weekend.

Drilling the cast iron table was pretty easy but hard on the nerves, but then tapping the holes raises the stress level a bit more.

I don't have a full set of letter drill bits yet so used my fractional set, not ideal when tapping metric threads but it worked for this application.

I did get the X Axis Installed yesterday and was hoping to get started on the Y Axis today but awoke to the news that we had a flood in one of the mechanical rooms, so no work on the machines today.

I watched a decent video on You Tube yesterday that helped a bit for the X Axis install, even though this video covers a magnetic scale the principle is the same.

Here's mine with the display installed and the X Axis live.

go52FfhK_o.jpg

David

How's that DRO install coming? I've got the X & Y done. Working on the Zed axis and there is quite a bit of taper on the base casting. Any ideas on mounting the base plate?

Back