Bought the Precession Matthews DRO, Now the fun really begins

I have installed my scale, but I am waiting on a new batch of aluminum angle to complete the read head mount and don't have any pictures to post just yet.

I did a similar install to Tim Marks (explodee) install, but will install the bracket between the scale and the mill so that I can install a chip guard. (hope he doesn't mind reposting one of his pictures)

31919132845_efe54de0df_z-jpg.187094

Last edited:
How did you compensate for the taper? What type of shim did you use?

I used the same brackets as shown in the photo above which have slots so they allow the scale to be installed in the vertical postion.

The angle brackets are flush against the column, (not shimmed) so slightly angled upwards but hardly noticeable and doesn't affect the install.

The scale is about 1 1/4" away from the column at the top and maybe 3/4" away at the bottom.

There are so many different ways to install the Z axis, but this was the easiest and neatest that I could find.

I started out copying this install but then realized if I wanted to use a chip guard I needed to move the read head bracket to the inside of the scale.

If it doesn't work I can easily revert back to the way I first installed it.

Use painters masking tape to do the layout and If you have double sided tape use it to mock-up the install before drilling.

Take your time and don't stress if the screw pack supplied is mostly useless, I have a good selection of stainless fasteners so just used those.

I even had to redrill a few of the scale mounting holes as the holes were different sizes

David

Last edited:
Angle brackets, okay I'll have to look for some of those.

The bracket kit that came with mine (which is the Easson Brand) are rather basic but I was able to use some of them.

I'll probably make my own once I get a new stock of aluminum as I can make them a bit nicer and they should fit better as well.

I'll certainly be making my own chip guards for the Z & X axis as the one supplied for the Z axis is not deep enough and the one on the X axis is deeper than needed and a bit flimsy so when I crank the table all the way to the back it's the first thing that hits.

David.

I figured I wouldn't have to buy or make more brackets I thought mine was specific to my mill but I guess not. I still may just shim as I already have the hole drilled and tapped. The slope of the casting is ~ 16°.

Is this the house brand I've been looking at one of those once back on my feet

I believe the bracket kit supplied with the DRO's from QMT (Matt) and the Aliexpress units are better than the Easson kit, based on the pictures of them online.

I don't mind making my own as it's kind of therapeutic for me to tinker on stuff like this and I can modify the ones supplied as well to get them to fit better.

I've seen a few installs on mills where the supplied brackets have been fine, on my lathe (PM 1340GT) I know I'll need make a custom bracket for the read head on the cross slide as the stock brackets will not be suitable.

Hey that's why we have these machines after all so we can make stuff.

David.

Chiroone I have been following you for some time now. Still more toys to play with before you get to the nitty gritty and get some chips on that machine. Sorry but it s mill purchase time for me and patiently waiting for someone to review this machine. Good on you for getting the DRO. It really does do alot for a mill. Take the time to learn about all it can do. It will be well worth your time.

Back