Box of Kwik Switch holders that came with mill

Mikebr5

Registered
Registered
So not only do I have to re-learn vertical milling after a few decades off, the sight-unseen mill came with about 200 pounds of various Kwik Switch stuff. I searched and found a few posts on here and learned a bit already. Thanks to you guys for sharing your experience.
The mill and the tooling had the kind of surface rust that mostly comes from neglect... Might have been left in an unheated humid shop, or possibly rained on a few times and then stored under cover.
This first pic is about 90% of them.
20170718_105113.jpg
My method is to grab an old SS pan from the wife's stash and make it my own when she is not looking, and then pour a bit of bulk WD40 in it as a rinse agent.

This is about the worst of the collet type holders for rust.
20170718_110728.jpg
After massaging some WD40 into the nooks and crannies and a bit of rubbing on the rust I stand them up in the corner of the WD40 pan to drain a bit, then they get wrapped in newspaper to sit for a few days.
Later I will get back in there and repeat the massage process before I get serious about it and use some fine abrasive or a wire wheel. Maybe that's a bad idea so that's why I am posting this so one of you Kwik Switch experts can grab me by the nape of the neck before I make a big blunder. (Well, I already made the big blunder of buying a mill unseen and none of you guys stopped me in time.)

I have heard that there are machinists who HATE WD40 (I even know a few.) I love the stuff, probably because I am an ignorant cuss. I have used it for everything from a rust loosener, penetrant, cutting fluid, bug killer to fishing lure dip (in the old days.)
Are there reasons not to use it as I have on these Kwik Shift tool holders?

Looks like a cool surprise.
Please let me know if you happen to have a 40NMTB taper to kwick switch master and an extra set of kwick swithch holders?
Also looking for other 40NMTB....

Daryl
MN

We need pictures of the mill to make a accurate recommendation. Lol. That doesn't look bad as far as the rust goes. I've had great luck with Arm & Hammer washing soda, a bucket of water and a battery charger. It removes rust effortlessly. The real work comes when taking the parts out and using a HAND wire brush to clean them and then wipe them down etc. mrpete on YouTube has a video as do many other people.
Nice score.

Looks like a cool surprise.
Please let me know if you happen to have a 40NMTB taper to kwick switch master and an extra set of kwick swithch holders?
Also looking for other 40NMTB....
Daryl
MN
I will catalog what I have and let you know Daryl... I should warn you early though- I didn't even understand what you said. That's how ignorant I am. :immersed:
I don't know, it sure looks like you are having fun.
OH, we never stop anyone from spending money, good or bad purchase. :laughing:
Any day that I get to fondle thick rusty steel and get rusty/oily is a good day. You read me well sir. haha
We need pictures of the mill to make a accurate recommendation. Lol. That doesn't look bad as far as the rust goes. I've had great luck with Arm & Hammer washing soda, a bucket of water and a battery charger. It removes rust effortlessly. The real work comes when taking the parts out and using a HAND wire brush to clean them and then wipe them down etc. mrpete on YouTube has a video as do many other people.
Nice score.
I will try your soda method... I used to keep two lidded pots in my workshop- one with vinegar and the other with soda for neutralizing, then I'd rinse the item outside in water.
I made the grand error of leaving a rusty bolt in the vinegar and forgot it for about two weeks. I was reminded about galvanic corrosion at the end of the 2 week soak by the scent of Old Italy around that area as the remnants of the vinegar dribbled out the bottom of the thick pan that had been riddled with corrosion. It was a good thick pot and matching lid too.
20170718_123708.jpg

Just understand he recommended WASHING SODA not baking soda. There is a difference for electrolysis. BTW electrolysis does work great.

I will catalog what I have and let you know Daryl... I should warn you early though- I didn't even understand what you said. That's how ignorant I am.

Mikebr5,
Welcome to HM.
I came here several years ago with a sincere desire to learn stuff. With the extreme patience of HM members I asked questions, made lots of mistakes, and learned heaps. I'm not a machinist. However, I enjoy trying learn the skill set. We are all on a learning curve. It's ok not to know stuff.
Welcome to HM.

Daryl
MN

My internet searches for Kwik Shift tools doesn't return much... Are they made anymore?
Is there a catalog that describes what each head is used for?
I finished massaging my new babies, wrapping them in paper and partially sorting them into boxes for further sorting and cleaning next week. The variety is interesting... Some are threaded for a drawbar some are not. Looks like at least 2 different size drawbars.
0-20170718_111949.jpg
Some of those threaded for a drawbar have a screw filling the threads, most do not.
Some of the collet type holders have hex tighteners, the rest have spanner type- seems to be size related. The larger of the collet types are all spanner type.
Some of the taper types have the slot to the top of the holder, the others are the type that I recognize from shop class for popping out drill bits... drift pin slot is "enclosed."
0-20170718_105113.jpg
I am surprised by the tool holders that rely on socket set screws to hold the cutter... Doesn't that offset the cutting tool?

I looked up "tool HEAD 95299" and it lead me to tools-n-gizmos but every tool that I have so far checked comes back "unavailable. "
Does anyone know of a good write-up or catalog for Kwik Shift tool holders?

Hi Mike, I have no knowledge of those tool holders, but wanted to stop in and say.....Welcome to the Hobby-Machinist!

-brino

Hey mike, by the way I just noticed that you "switched" from using the name "Kwik Switch" in post #1 to "Kwik Shift" in post #8.

I did a net search on the first one and found this:
http://toolholderexchange.com/kwik-switch/

maybe it'll help.......

Last edited:
Back