• We want to encourage those of you who ENJOY our site and find it USEFUL to DONATE and UPGRADE your membership from active member to donating or premium membership. If you want to know the differences in membership benefits, please visit THIS PAGE:

https://www.hobby-machinist.com/premium/

Donating memberships start at just $10 per year. These memberships are in fact donations that help pay our costs, and keep our site running!
    Thank you for your donation, God Bless You
  • June Project of the Month (Click "x" at right to dismiss)
[4]

Boxford lathe

[3]
[10] Like what you see?
Click here to donate to this forum and upgrade your account!

Dave Paine

H-M Supporter - Premium Member
H-M Supporter-Premium Member
Nice lathe. Made in my home town, Halifax, UK.

I was not into metalwork when I lived in the town. Lathes.UK site has a good page on this lathe. I do not know about value. At the time these were production machines. Parts likely more available in the UK than the US.

Boxford VSL lathes.UK

pacifica

RGL
I had one for several years;
1 3/8" spindle bore, reeves style variable speed so no problems there, apron and compound identical to SB so easy to get parts.
5 mt in spindle bore, small footprint, fairly maintenance free.
check the ways: loosely tighten apron by headstock and then see if you can run it to tailstock without any binding.
Tir at spindle bore should be under 5 ten-thousandths.Loo is a great taper with lots of chucks available.
be nice if it had 5c collet closer, QCTP , inverter ,tool holders.all things that will cost you more money.

Matt4wheels

Swarf
Registered Member
I've asked this seller for the swing and bed length which I can't seem to get. Does anyone have this info on a VSL?

pacifica

RGL
swing is either 9"(most likely), or 10" (think that was the 500). Bed length is 27"

[6]
[5] [7]