Boyar Schultz 612 Deluxe Table Lock

Jdunbar

Registered
Registered
The Boyar Schultz 612 Deluxe that I have has sliding tabs to limit the table traverse. Is there another way to lock the traverse of the table? if I use the limit stops, the table still moves a little bit. I’m trying to do some cylinder grinding and that little bit of movement causes the diameter to change.

Also on the limit stops there is a knurled screw, what is the purpose of it?

Thanks

John

I have given the advice to use the travel stops on both sides to lock the table from moving, never had to do so myself yet. Yes, any little play in the setup will hurt the accuracy of the cylindrical work. I don't have a Boyar Schultz, but I assume that the knurled screws are for fine adjustment of the travel stops. If you can tighten them after you lock down the position bolts, that might tighten things up enough to eliminate the slight play. Are there lock nuts also on the knurled screws? If so, tightening them while holding one of the screws tight may be enough help. If not, you might remove the knurled screws and replace them with hex head bolts (and nuts) and lightly tighten them to eliminate play. Again, I do not have a Boyar Schultz, and I am only imagining the setup in my head...

The knurled screws are above the plunger so they do not effect the stop.
image.jpg

Can the stops be inverted (reversed) to allow use of the screw stop?

Not sure why your stops are like that, mine line up. I think I would shim the bracket up.

Attachments

• IMG_20200117_1949124_rewind.jpg
    IMG_20200117_1949124_rewind.jpg
    871.1 KB · Views: 10
I have a Boyer Shultze and it looks like your missing some pieces to the stops. Here’s mine
55475954-93E6-427F-9484-07D914684F6C.jpegB004EA2F-B8F3-4672-83BA-6EFB9CF3BA23.jpeg
As you can see the main plunger that goes in the bracket has a stiff spring in it. The tension of spring can be adjusted by the knurl knob on the right of it. Then there’s a fine adjust knurled knob/screw on the left side. My brackets are oriented like yours “mounting screw to the bottom” but missing the pieces defeats the purpose I think.
If you don’t already know there is a saddle lock on the right side of the saddle for in and out.

The soft stop is what I am showing in my above post. The soft stop is the spring Assy. To make a hard stop you compress the spring solid and use the other knurled knob to get your setting. I can take measurements of parts if you’d like. Does your brackets have a stepped bore in them? Like .250 hole on one side and a .500 hole on the other side?

Back