Boyar-Schultz 612

Just for a point of reference, I've been looking for some additional adapters for my SG and used prices on eBay were so high I decided to buy new. The cheapest place I could find for Sopko adapters was McMaster Carr - $59 each for Sopko 00200 LH Adapter 200-1 which is 1-1/4" x 1/2-3/4 thickness LH thread. Their site doesn't give this info, but I emailed them before ordering. Sure enough, they are Sopko and Sons Inc.

I ordered (3) of these so I have a total of (4) and with shipping and tax they cost me just shy of what I paid for the SG! Another point to consider when buying a machine. If you can get a few in good condition with a machine it's a big plus.

Ted

I'll definitely make sure it's in good shape.
For $1800 asking price it should be. One hub included so that is a slight disappointment. I'm only shopping and in no hurry as I have a small surface grinder at the moment but would like something larger.

Admittedly prices vary across the nation, but for central PA, that's waaay overpriced. Used surface grinders are a $500 item with a chuck and less if they're really old. There's a well written procedure on the net about how to rebuild a Boyar Schultz spindle, and having done that I can assure you it's doable at the home shop level. Nevertheless, if the bearings are noisy, I'd walk away unless the price were in the $200-$250 range. I wouldn't buy one with bronze bushings instead of ball bearings in the spindle at all.

I
Admittedly prices vary across the nation, but for central PA, that's waaay overpriced. Used surface grinders are a $500 item with a chuck and less if they're really old. There's a well written procedure on the net about how to rebuild a Boyar Schultz spindle, and having done that I can assure you it's doable at the home shop level. Nevertheless, if the bearings are noisy, I'd walk away unless the price were in the $200-$250 range. I wouldn't buy one with bronze bushings instead of ball bearings in the spindle at all.
Do you have a link for the Boyar-Schultz spindle repair? A buddy of mine has one that is making noise.

My B&S 2L has a plain bearing spindle and works fine. Why do you say you wouldn't buy one?

The gentleman has lowered the price to $1250. To me that means he'd probably take a grand. There are no extras though. One wheel hub.
He is over a hundred miles from me so will sit this one out for the time being.

Back