BP Oil System Problems?

Kroll

Active User
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Guys I am cleaning up and checking my oil pump and system just to make sure all is working but I hit a problem.First with the manifold hook up and the system oil pump disconnected I took my whats called a high pressure oil pump and hook it up to the manifold and start pumping.Well I did not get oil to some of the areas such as one of the ways that sets on the knee.So while the saddle is setting on my bench I took it all apart except removing the 5/32 tubing.I pulled out each orific in order since some had #0 and some had #1 with direction arrows. I put my hand held oil pump in the orifice and pump oil through each one with out the tubing hook up and I got oil out except one.I did kinda let the orifices soak alittle in some diesel just to clean them up when I first took this apart.Anyway the one that is not working,I took a small welding pic set and check for nastys inside the orifice which I did get some trash out.But pushing in with the pick it felt kinda sponge so I check couple other and found the same thing.Is it possible that these may have felt inside them to act as a filter or as an orifice?I also clean the manifold while I had it all apart which it also had some trash in it.Took my very small spray guy cleaning brush and run it down the length of the manifold so its cleaned.Next I again hook all this back up and with my hand held pump I was now able to get oil through all the orifice except the one that is removed in the pic.Guys my question is,is there some kind material inside the orifice or is that just some trash?I really don't want to buy no more what I have to cause they are 14.00 each so ouch!Any comments,suggestions,advice please help

IMG_0733.JPG

IMG_0732.JPG

IMG_0729.JPG

Just replaced all the tubing on mine and found nothing inside the orifice fittings other than some dirt and the drilled hole. While I had it apart I added a oiler line to the Y feed nut so it will get oil directly instead of relying on drip from the X feed nut above it. I'm thinking yours just need a good cleaning. Mike

I like that ideal,think I will do the same.Thanks for the ideal

In the last issue of the online H&W Machine Repair Newsletter there was an article about cleaning Bridgeport oiling systems. They mentioned how to clean and test the orifices, and the filter in the tank. They also had a link to the Bijur parts they have available.
http://www.machinerypartsdepot.com/store/1478157/page/705249

Unfortunately I didn't save the letter, but I believe you can get a copy if you send them an e mail using the "contact us" link from the page I linked to.

These people are extremely knowledgeable on Bridgeport machines and are more than happy to guide you through any procedure related to the machines. They do not push parts for the sake of sales. They will ask all the necessary questions and assist you in any way they can. If you do need some parts their prices are very reasonable. I have done business with them for nearly 20 years and have always appreciated their advise. I would trust them above anyone else on the care, maintenance, and repair of Bridgeport machines.

Thanks guys,Dan I think I will give your method a try.In each orifice using a welding pic I can feel something in the whole.I did dig a little out which it was just some nastys.But was unable to get them to 100%,so brake fluid method bound.
Dan what kind of DRO did you go with,that is my next project

Fantastic,glad to hear shipping went well.Do you have it up and running and tested?So far so good?Like others I wish I could buy from DRO pro's but for this just starting out guy thats just alot of money.So wanting to research some of those thats across the pond.

Back