BP Power Feed Shaft Project w/?

After reading this again I feel like ya'll know me cause that is what I was doing and getting a bad finish even of my rough passes. Terrible! Thanks for all this info,so in afternoon I went back at it,figuring how much that I need to take off to get finish OD. So being little on nervous side I minus .020 # on how many passes which I now taking about .030 per pass which got me to within I think .030. So I made one more pass with carbide insert then switch to the HSS that Doc gave me. Guys I have to say which I know finish is not a challenge for most but for me it is. But this time it looks good and finish is so smooth,which this is a first for me. Yahooo But I still need to take off .002 so at that point I shut it down for the day cause I wanted to be able to sleep.:) Today first going to turn the OD down for that bushing,then again check the fit for the coupling. Pic is for entertainment only Again guys thanks all this things sure makes a difference

Attachments

• Bar.jpg
    Bar.jpg
    606.6 KB · Views: 30
Hi, I'm no expert on lathe work, but if I want a really nice finish after turning, I spin the part in the lathe and use some emery cloth strip to clean up the surface. It is possibly not the thing to do, but it works for me.

Mac,two minds think alike. I don't know if its consider a sin in machinist world but I needed to remove just a tad off the OD. I just did not want to tap the gear on nor the bushing. So I use some fine emery cloth to bring it down just so that I could slide the bushing and the gear on and call it good. So far so good,the bushing is on but still need to adjust the length for it. Do the same for the gear,which my plan is to use the parting tool just to square up the shoulders for both. Taking a break and to collect my thoughts and to check my game plan and to look at the drawing that came with PF

Attachments

• mill2.jpg
    mill2.jpg
    529 KB · Views: 21
It took me ages to get used to machining down to a given diameter. Once you get to know your lathe better you will master it. I have recently made 8 off bronze bushes. The material was expensive to buy and I didn't want to have any 'duff ones'. The first two I messed up with the boring to the correct diameter (too large) but then it all worked out OK with the rest and I had about a 2" length of material left.

2604.jpg

Mac,two minds think alike. I don't know if its consider a sin in machinist world but I needed to remove just a tad off the OD. I just did not want to tap the gear on nor the bushing. So I use some fine emery cloth to bring it down just so that I could slide the bushing and the gear on and call it good. So far so good,the bushing is on but still need to adjust the length for it. Do the same for the gear,which my plan is to use the parting tool just to square up the shoulders for both. Taking a break and to collect my thoughts and to check my game plan and to look at the drawing that came with PF
Well done! that looks really great and if the fit is nice I'd call that a success!

It's very common practice to use a file or emery cloth to bring a shaft to a precise dimension- I do it fairly often myself since my lathe is a "noodle" (Atlas, very wiggly and springy)
-Mark

Thanks guys, not counting my chickens yet but! So far so good,going to thread(using die) for the nut to hold the handle next then I be able to at least get one end at correct length. I know this is my chance to thread for first time using the lathe but that is an unproven area for my lathe. I need to practice first.

Single point threading on the lathe is more accurate than using a die. Have a practise on some scrap first. It concerned me at first, cutting threads on the lathe, now I have started enjoying it. Have a look at a few videos, rather than just one video. There seem to be some different ideas on the subject out there. Pick one that works the best for you and your machine.

This guy has been a good mentor for me and he has helped me a lot with my machining queries.

He has very old machines, but does some fantastic work on them.

Guys small steps for me,I believe that I am finish with this end of the shaft and it looks like all is good. Now I have to cut the shaft to length plus little then fine tune the length. Hope that the shims will help with fine tuning. Any advice,I'm on break right now:)PF.jpg

Projectnut-When you made your coupling does it but up against the roller bearing?I just measure length for my coupling it looks like it needs to be 3” long to butt against roller bearing.One I have is to short if this is case,so another project I guess

Back