BP Quill getting tight

I know I am late to the party on this but after acquiring a new to me BP vari-speed J head las month I found on getting it home the quill would barely move.

Reading this and other posts on the web I tried most all the ideas listed. I finally proceeded to push (or should I say drive the whole mess out after soaking in oil and solvent for a week.
Once removed I found two issues first is a hardened build up at the lower end of housing and the other was a half in wide inch long film of light rust on side of housing about same level as quill feed. Some signs of wear on quill ram but very faint (if my lathe was up and running I would polish it). I found a very fine stone piston hone and about 5 seconds of honing cleaned all up and polished the walls.
A note I used 30wt oil to hone the walls and tried using it to slide the ram in but it had bad drag and stuck. So I cleaned and used spindle oil and it slides very nice with light pressure only. Hard part on using the hone was the square opening in the front had to be blocked so hone would not catch.

The build up and rust I believe are from previous owner leaving machine setting for a couple years.

Unfortunately I have found some one left some damage in the cabbage head so the tilt does not work. I need to repair the cracked out casting parts so the bolt heads can travel smoothly. Suspect the chip outs are from forklift operator hitting back of head with a fork.

Like my old father inlaw use to say"A news paper will always be new till you read it regardless of age"Which this can applies to post and all post are timeless.Plus like you, having a new to me BP all this post are a big help

Back