Braille Micrometer - Car Boot Find

upahill

Registered
Registered
Hi all, new member here so hope this is allowed.

I have recently started collecting micrometers / measuring instruments whilst learning the very basics of engineering - I came across this today and wondered if anyone had any information on it - I can only find a smaller version which was made during WWII.

It's a Moore & Wright micrometer which the seller believes was made in the 60's.

Any info would be much appreciated.

14355790_10209909874640559_823430860308511493_n.jpg

Bill Gruby is our Braille mic collector. He may have some info for you. They are rare and valuable.

upahill,
Great post!
While I don't know braille I'd be interested in a close up of the sleeve and thimble (the handle end).

Thank you.
Daryl
MN

Ok this is so cool!!
Not only is it a good looking mic, but even more is the fact that my brothers and sisters who have vision problems get to inspect!!

Daryl
MN

I WANT THAT. You are a lucky man. That universal model is about as rare as they come. In the beginning those Braille Mics were made for the sight impaired, not totally blind. But as the war progressed it became evident that Blind people could inspect. That small diameter rod has two stops, one for the plus, one the minus. The pro set the stops and gave it to the inspector. I have the paper work for that set and will scan it later and post it here for you. A word of extreme caution, do not try to adjust that barrel or take it apart till you have the paperwork. It is extremely fragile inside.

As far as value, I would set that set, in that condition (excellent) with papers at around $1000.00 That NOT a typo. I paid ($850.00 for mine. Yours is the only other set I have seen. Go lock it up somewhere, the value only goes up.

That is one fantastic score. One other thing, it looks like the stops are missing, they are two small collars on the rod that is parallel to th Barrel. I have some if yo need them.

Dating that model would be late 40's to early 50's. The new style barrel came into play in 57, it's smaller in diameter. Moore & Wright was an English Company.

"Billy G"

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Billy G, Thank you for your reply.

It's nice to know they are quite rare, I was actually looking at some pin vices and the seller said "Are you a piano tuner, I was hoping to sell these as a job lot with a braille mic." He didn't actually have it out on display at the time so it was purely chance that he mentioned it. It will certainly be the centre piece of my small collection now. Up until this my most 'unusual' find has been a 12-18" Starrett which I spotted in a huge box and absolutely love.

The value is amazing, considering what I paid I feel a bit guilty now! I would love to see the paperwork for it, the seller did mention he had seen some of the papers in his fathers estate but couldn't find them. The ratchet just misses zero as its a bit stiff for the last eigth turn or so, so it may need adjusting slightly.

I have a few bits by Moore & Wright, my brother lives in Sheffield and they are frequent finds in local sales there.

I WANT THAT. You are a lucky man. That universal model is about as rare as they come. In the beginning those Braille Mics were made for the sight impaired, not totally blind. But as the war progressed it became evident that Blind people could inspect. That small diameter rod has two stops, one for the plus, one the minus. The pro set the stops and gave it to the inspector. I have the paper work for that set and will scan it later and post it here for you. A word of extreme caution, do not try to adjust that barrel or take it apart till you have the paperwork. It is extremely fragile inside.

As far as value, I would set that set, in that condition (excellent) with papers at around $1000.00 That NOT a typo. I paid ($850.00 for mine. Yours is the only other set I have seen. Go lock it up somewhere, the value only goes up.

That is one fantastic score. One other thing, it looks like the stops are missing, they are two small collars on the rod that is parallel to th Barrel. I have some if yo need them.

Dating that model would be late 40's to early 50's. The new style barrel came into play in 57, it's smaller in diameter. Moore & Wright was an English Company.

"Billy G"

Thank you for the thread.
Does anyone know if braille mics still made?

Daryl
MN

Yes, Starrett and B&S still make them. Special order only. Big bucks. Moore & Wright are no longer in business. They were taken over by another manufacturer, but may be totally gone now. Ebay has braille mics frequently, but none are listed right now. It's an item that most people don't know about.

"Billy G"

Back