Brake cam and handle for Clausing 8520, 8525, 8530, 8535 mills

Thanks guys. Actually Jeff, looking at the photos you posted and seeing how the plate fits in place I can probably nuke out the dimensions by measuring my head and pulley. Since it's not uncommon for these things to crack I have to wonder if it wouldn't be better to make a replacement out of something other than cast iron... something with a little more "spring" to it. Worth pondering.

BTW - that restoration project of yours turned out great Jeff. Really a beautiful job. Seeing that I'm really torn now. My machine is currently sitting in the shop in its three main assemblies (cabinet, column with table attached, and head) which is how I moved it when I brought it home. Somewhere along the line someone decided baby blue was a more appropriate color for this mill than the original factory gray. It's perfectly usable as-is, but now I have to wonder whether I want to go ahead and set it up (and tackle a few projects I already have lined up) or tear it the rest of the way apart and do a full restore. Yours sure is purty. Decisions, decisions...

If you don't tear it down, at least check the pulleys. My bearings needed replacement.
I replaced with C2's as the original. In retrospect, I think C3's would be a better choice. C2's are necessary on the screws for the table, but not really on the drive. I think that's why the drive bearings seem to go. They are too tight.. c2's have less clearance, c3's more clearance (clearance is in the ball race)

Are you talking about the bearings on the idler pulley? Did you replace the bearings in the head too?

I replaced the idler, and the bearings on the head pulley. I didn't replace the spindle bearings. They seemed good (thankfully).

I also wound up replacing 2 bearings on the table, so only 1 remained usuable. My Serial # 5148, so I think it's an old one. Judging by some of the sites that go over the mods, mine seems like a real old one..

I'll check them all - thanks. I ran the machine when I went to pick it up and it was smooth and quiet, but of course it wasn't under any sort of load. I assume the bearings are readily available? Is there a list of "modern" part numbers somewhere I can refer to in lieu of cross-referencing the Clausing numbers in the manual?

The bearings mostly are 201KDD FAFNIR and 1 x 202KDD FAFNIR under one of the pulleys, and 2x 9105KDD FAFNIR for the head pulley.
All were C2 and Fafnir is no longer, it was sucked up into Timken, but new old stock is available.

Mine also seemed alright until I started digging in. Then it became obvious that they weren't. 2 were completely seized up, and 2 were rough.
The new numbers for 201KDD and 202 are 6201 and 6202 respectively if I remember correctly for newer bearings.
The C2's are hard to locate. The c3's easy. For pulleys go c3

Thanks Jeff... will definitely check them all out before putting the machine into service. Looks like those bearings are relatively easy to come by and not too expensive. Having a little trouble finding any of them listed on line that give clearance specs... have to keep digging. Anyway - thanks again!

Well... I inspected my mill last night and the idler pulley bearings seem fine. the pulley turns freely and if I spin it up by hand it will make three or four revolutions before coasting to a stop. There's no discernible play in any direction and no "crunchiness" at any point in its rotation. Not a final verdict, but a good sign at least. The spindle pulley bearings also seem OK - there's a tiny bit of play if I try to rock the pulley side to side, and it's a little stiffer than the idler (of course it's also turning the spindle and its bearings) but again it's very smooth with no roughness evident. So I'm hopeful...

Back