Brake Dress for the diamond wheel

It seems any time I take a pic on a blue shop paper towel the steel comes out with this color finish??
It is kind of cool.
Oh weird. I am taking apart the work stations I purchased (Listed here) and I discovered that all of the steel is nickel coated. Looks just like yours in the blue light!
I like that look!

Making progress.
I'm almost done. I just need to thread the knurled tension knob.
I also need to dress the grinding wheel. I thought I'd make an arbor and dress the wheel on the lathe using the tool path provided by the QCTP for the diamond dresser.
I'm not looking forward to dressing the grinding wheel on my lathe. I see plenty of shop towels a,d a vacuum.

Attachments

• press 1.jpg
    press 1.jpg
    98.5 KB · Views: 17
  • press 2.jpg
    press 2.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 16
  • press 4.jpg
    press 4.jpg
    64.4 KB · Views: 17
  • press 5.jpg
    press 5.jpg
    81.1 KB · Views: 21
That looks really good Jeff!

That looks really good Jeff!
Thanks David.
Someone challenged me (Mr. Cadillac man) to add a brake. it was a fun project. I've never turned a press fit to the bearings, first time to single point thread 3/4" UNC.
The oil filled bronze bushings rub against a piece of 1045 I ground on the SG.
The shaft is 4140. That was easy to cut but the machine finish is not what I had hoped for.
I'll take a pic when I put it to use on the SG.

Last edited:
Thanks David.
Someone challenged me (Mr. Cadillac man) to add a brake. it was a fun project. I've never turned a press fit to the bearings, first time to single point thread 3/4" UNC.
The oil filled bronze bushings rub against a piece of 1045 I ground on the SG.
The shaft is 4140. That was easy to cut but the machine finish is not what I had hoped for.
I'll take a pic when I put it to use on the SG.
I was just going to ask how you are going to set that up on the SG. Will be watching closely.

I think it will do the job.
I just finished. This weekend I’ll dress the grinding whee, mount the 7” diamond and brake dress it.
The drag works well.

Attachments

• F6D1F5E5-C00A-4B73-8265-1C9EA3C4C269.jpeg
    F6D1F5E5-C00A-4B73-8265-1C9EA3C4C269.jpeg
    722.7 KB · Views: 14
  • FD775164-EF51-459F-9857-91BD0135A276.jpeg
    FD775164-EF51-459F-9857-91BD0135A276.jpeg
    834.2 KB · Views: 16
  • 2B7A3F20-3412-4709-A803-F4773D2ACA8E.jpeg
    2B7A3F20-3412-4709-A803-F4773D2ACA8E.jpeg
    721.3 KB · Views: 14
  • 3FCBE657-A3A7-41B5-861A-DD0DFEED5D57.jpeg
    3FCBE657-A3A7-41B5-861A-DD0DFEED5D57.jpeg
    894 KB · Views: 13
That looks factory made Jeff!

So, how does this work? You are using this to dress your SG wheel? You mention diamond, so I am assuming that you are mounting some sort of diamond wheel to this fixture instead of the vitreous wheel that you currently have mounted...

That looks factory made Jeff!
Well, don't look too close.
Thanks David.
I don't know of any other method of dressing these diamond wheels. The Shars CBN and diamond wheels are very robust but they need to be trued and dressed to get good results IMHO. Other brands run into hundreds of dollars where the Shars are less than $100.
Solid Rock uses a burnishing method. He plunges down on carbon steel as I recall. he uses the white stick to cut away the bond and keeps working the wheel until the facets are cleaned up and the wheel is flat. There is a lot to it.. see below
I originally bought the 7" diamond wheel to make precision ground flat stones. I have successfully made a few sets.
I was taught by Bob Korves. Now I know why he insisted on plunging down and not running across the stone. It will cut a bevel in the diamond composition.

So, how does this work? You are using this to dress your SG wheel? You mention diamond, so I am assuming that you are mounting some sort of diamond wheel to this fixture instead of the vitreous wheel that you currently have mounted...
It's only for diamond-CBN wheels. I didn't have a chance to mount the diamond wheel last night.
If you have time and are interested, watch the Solid Rock machine videos.
Now this guy knows grinding!!

Back