Brand new lathe, can't turn it on yet...

GunsOfNavarone

Registered
Registered
Hello all,
So I have the G0602Z where it will live, cleaned it pretty well and going through the start up procedures, oil is a bit low. I really don't want to HAVE TO order oil from Grizzly, it there somewhere I can get something local? It seems you can use ISO 32 OR 68 in the gearbox and 32 in the ball oilers...for ease I'll go 32 both. I thought I could use hydraulic fluid (no detergent), then I talked myself out of that. I want to do it right as I have never turned it on, BUUUUUUTTTT... I want to start break in now.
Help?

Local tractor supply stores generally have ISO 32 and ISO 68.
I got mine via McMaster-Carr.

I like ISO 68 on the ways as it makes the carriage float smoother than ISO 32.
My gearbox calls for ISO 32, so that is what I use in it.

Jeez/Jones....tractor supply huh? I suppose that exists here somewhere....I was hoping someone would say AutoZone or Ace Hardware. I know the heavier oil will be quiter, but convenience, maybe I'll use two ..if I can source them!

Last edited:
I found a Kubuto dealer not too far away (yay) they only have ISO 48 (BOO?) That does fall between iso 32 and iso 68 as recommended.

I use Sinopac ISO 46 because I have a big drum of it. Any of the hydraulic oils rated for tractor use will work. They are designed to be used in combined transmission/hydraulic systems on machines in general.
Attached a sheet from Spec Oil.

Attachments

• SPEC OIL HYDRAULIC OIL ISO 32, 46, 68, 100, 150, 220.pdf
    72.6 KB · Views: 3
Walmart has iso32 and 68, otherwise known as SAE10 and SAE20, any Walmart in your neck of the woods?

Back