Brand new lathe, can't turn it on yet...

Walmart has iso32 and 68, otherwise known as SAE10 and SAE20, any Walmart in your neck of the woods?
The SAE ratings refer to equivalent viscosity rates at 20*C. One thing to look out for with Automotive products is the additives such as detergents and viscosity modifiers most of which are not necessary in other machinery.

Some auto parts stores carry ISO 32 and 68 oil. Some of it says AW on it (AW68, AW 32, there is also AW46), which means it has anti wear additives added to it. I prefer the AW oil, and it is also available from farm implement dealers and aftermarket sellers at very reasonable prices.

Detergent is not only not necessary, but actually degrades the application.

Machine tools with high quality ball bearings want the wear particles to fall to the bottom of the oil tank rather than being held in solution (like oil with detergent does).

Walmart has iso32 and 68, otherwise known as SAE10 and SAE20, any Walmart in your neck of the woods?
I have fork oil...SAE 20W, but it has many additives...dunno about that. That's the tough part, not only the weight conversion, but what crap they toss in the mix. I feel like I'm over thinking this as it is a foreign standard and in a brand new machine. I think I'll be changing it almost immediately after break in...

Some auto parts stores carry ISO 32 and 68 oil. Some of it says AW on it (AW68, AW 32, there is also AW46), which means it has anti wear additives added to it. I prefer the AW oil, and it is also available from farm implement dealers and aftermarket sellers at very reasonable prices.
Yes! I seem to remember reading something about Moly in this oil (the correct oil) which is a great anti wear additive.

I run AW46 in my lathe, mainly because I have plenty of that on the shelf. Use it in the fork lifts also.

I'm over thinking this as it is a foreign standard and in a brand new machine.
ISO is a world standard that all countries except the United States and maybe a couple third world countries have signed on to.
https://www.iso.org/about-us.html
https://www.iso.org/home.html
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_International_Organization_for_Standardization_standards
I am completely comfortable with both sets of standards, because I have had to be in my employment. Countries that use ISO standards consider our systems "quaint." They only need to learn one system...

Detergent is not only not necessary, but actually degrades the application.

Machine tools with high quality ball bearings want the wear particles to fall to the bottom of the oil tank rather than being held in solution (like oil with detergent does).

Please explain the source of wear particles, my lathe does not make any because the oil keeps the metal surfaces from touching.

Detergents are surfactants not emulsifiers. They are designed to ''penetrate and release'' not to ''dissolve and hold''. Please explain the science of how any particles would theoretically be held in solution more than with non detergent oils.

Detergents are not necessary in a lathe - agreed.
Detergents are harmful to a lathe gearbox - not any more than they are harmful to motorcycle gearboxes.

Thanks everybody for the info. In my searches here & on the internet, there are no shortages of confused AMERICANS trying to make sense of this. I think (for the next poor bastard asking the same damn question) SAE 10 is the same as ISO 32 & SAE 20 is the same as ISO 68. One thing to watch for, you don’t want detergents & additives. I did end up ordering off Amazon (thanks for the link Terry) but now feel comfortable after hearing all of your alternatives, using something no labeled exactly the same.
Very good-thank you!

Back