Brand new machine arrives in used condition.

Also, there's the simple fact that there are not any mentors showing them how to do it properly, and some don't want to learn.
And then they're the lowball hot-shot delivery service. And then they also don't care. All they see is a big hunk of iron.
Neighbors treated themselves to a hottub they'd been wanting for years. The tub showed up in a 24' box truck with only the driver.
Driveway has a slight incline to it and the driver parked nose facing up hill. I called my neighbor, who was recovering from emergency surgery and told him not to lift anything or to do anything.
Not having a good feeling about it, I went inside grabbed a cup of coffee and the keys to the skid steer. Went back out to the shop and planted myself on the stool. A couple of sips later there was the interesting sound of a 6'x6' spa hitting the pavement. Followed by the pallet jack. I wandered over.
The youngun' was trying to talk my neighbor into accepting delivery, I suggested that it should go right back on the truck - problem was that the spa blocked the truck. Me I like to use mechanical means for heavy lifting or moving - anything to save my back & muscles.
This dumb arse kid just plain didn't want to listen to gray beard wisdom. Frustrating. I wanted to help - not have to explain myself.
You'd think at that point the driver would just want to get it loaded back up and continue his runs. I went back to my place and my neighbor called (5) mins later. Grabbed the tractor and a Jo-Bar, some blocks and wandered back over.
And the driver _still_ wanted to disagree with my plan, which was simple. Block up an end of the spa, place bucket under it, it fit nicely in the bucket, strap it good and tight and place it back on the truck, bypassing the liftgate.
What should have been 15-20 minutes took an hour. Couple of problems with the whole situ.
The company running the trucks only sends out (1) driver without a helper? I've seen machinery movers handle large equipment one man, but a 6x6 spa on end on a liftgate, nah. The dufas kid did not want to listen, just wanted to 'gorilla' it. He didn't understand how to park the truck, didn't grasp the limits of the liftgate, and sure as heck did not realize the effects of gravity.

Stupid comes in all colors and age range, The driver was a couple of years younger than me. I think most of it boils down to simply caring. Hard to teach an adult to care. They either do or they won't.
Too bad the young man didn't follow your lead, he could have used the knowledge throughout his life.

Yea, Young, dumb and do not care, Part of the reason insurance and delivery are so expensive any more. Oh, the insurance will cover it and they just add that to the cost of shipping, rather than do thing right. And figure as long as they do not get hurt, every thing is fine.
What ever happened to the good old American pride with a lot of people today, Most on this site work hard to do that, have met to many others that do not seem to care, just want you to give them money.
Too many people ,older too, feel they have something coming to them.

by the way when are you going to pick it up. That will be a fair hall there, and back.

by the way when are you going to pick it up. That will be a fair hall there, and back.

kvt,
I just took a vacation day/shift for the 8th of February. I'll head out around 3 am arriving at Acra around 11 am. Package up new machine and hopefully be back on the road by 13:00 arriving home around 9 pm. Tomorrow I'll be repacking the axels bearings on the 20' flat bed and swapping four new tires off the dump trailer. Working Sunday, then going over the Duramax on Monday.
Since I'm hauling the return machine, It'll cost a little more in both time and money but at least I'll know what I'm getting in the end.
I hope the next batch of photos you see will be of a pristine machine:cool:.

At least I am glad that Acra took the high road and is making good on the screw up. Can't wait to see it all home and set up. Take care.

David

At least I am glad that Acra took the high road and is making good on the screw up. Can't wait to see it all home and set up. Take care.

David
Me too David, on both accounts.

I'd like to think that when I was young I listened and paid attention to the 'Gray Beards'.
As I often lament, probably not enough when it comes to machining. I'm pretty sure I did around my father's friends and acquaintances.
I remember a couple of old timer's that I spent time around and still use their advice & lessons to this day.

IMO, Acra should have sent a dedicated delivery with the replacement machine and picked up the damaged one.
Not a low-bid hot shotter off the web this time. Paco shouldn't have to burn a vacation day to do properly what should have been done
correctly in the first place. </end-rant>

When I picked up the 1440 at the auction, the two younguns' doing the equipment loading slung it correclty asked me where I wanted on the trailer and after it was placed they both grabbed the tiedowns from me and tied it down.
When I picked up the Bridgeport it was the opposite. They attempted to handle it like they were loading busted up concrete from a demo site. Had to force them to stop and get proper slings to lift it correctly. They were going at it with the forks around the pedestal under the ram & head. er, NOT...
Care to hazard a guess which one cost more?

I'd like to think that when I was young I listened and paid attention to the 'Gray Beards'.
As I often lament, probably not enough when it comes to machining. I'm pretty sure I did around my father's friends and acquaintances.
I remember a couple of old timer's that I spent time around and still use their advice & lessons to this day.

IMO, Acra should have sent a dedicated delivery with the replacement machine and picked up the damaged one.
Not a low-bid hot shotter off the web this time. Paco shouldn't have to burn a vacation day to do properly what should have been done
correctly in the first place. </end-rant>

When I picked up the 1440 at the auction, the two younguns' doing the equipment loading slung it correclty asked me where I wanted on the trailer and after it was placed they both grabbed the tiedowns from me and tied it down.
When I picked up the Bridgeport it was the opposite. They attempted to handle it like they were loading busted up concrete from a demo site. Had to force them to stop and get proper slings to lift it correctly. They were going at it with the forks around the pedestal under the ram & head. er, NOT...
Care to hazard a guess which one cost more?

I've learned/learn from both young and old, the latter more frequently. As a juvenile, I always looked up to older folks and always demonstrated respect even when they where short with me. In the end they always had knowledge to offer even if only by observing. My dad demanded I respect all elders and wouldn't hesitate to set me straight early on. His discipline was "Old School" until my preteen years. I notice a lot younger guys at the fire house lack this and don't hesitate to insult a guy with 25+ years of service. I once had a fellow get smart with me over a call involving a drunk. He was mistreating an older man whom I was very familiar with who had served in Korea. This old man was a PITA but I never walked in his shoes so always displayed respect. I sent the kid out to the truck and concluded the call. On the way back the kid with two years of service was ****** off at me for sending him out. When we got back to the fire house I pulled a tape measure from my duty bag and pulled 23" out and said to the pouting punk "this is me (pointing to the 23" mark) and this is you (pointing to the 2" mark) he was speechless as this was profound when you see it put like that. I then sat him down and explained Mr. Baily's situation (the Korean vet) and advised him to rethink his attitude. This young man now works at one of the busiest stations and from I understand treats folks with more care then required. I can't say I had a direct effect on him, but he's a fan of mine and I of him. That was four years ago, he's now a medic and is sitting at the six inch mark. haha.

On Acra,
I hear you, but at this point, I have zero faith with a third party to handle the transport the way I will. Your absolutely 100% correct I should stay back and and play in my shop and not take a 24 hour vacation. Tom would probably cover all the cost, but again, I have the means and its all about piece of mind at this stage. I'll make the best of it, jamming to classic rock and reflecting.

As for the knuckleheads rigging (or lack there of) you mill, I'll guess that machine cost more. Those dudes didn't care, while the lathe riggers did.
Am I right?

I see your in Tennessee, I went to Non Commission Officer Academy (NCOA) academy in McGhee Tyson near Knoxville back in 89 while in the USAF. I drove a Toyota P/U with a 86 Harley sportster in the bed. I cruised the bike all over the Smoky Mountains on the weekends. What a blast I had. Beautiful country man.

Take it lite Dan,
Paco

I think some of the blame for this fiasco is Acra the machine should have been is plywood box to reduce possible damage. I find it hard to believe that this unit was shipped overseas without being in a dedicated enclosure

Back