Brand-new offering by LMS: an 8.5"x20" bench lathe

My LMS 8.5x20 arrived earlier this week. It's a decent upgrade from my mini-lathe and yet fits nicely in the limited space I have. The power cross feed is a nice feature. I'm getting mirror-like facing cuts, something that gave me all kinds of grief on the mini-lathe. You can also adjust the speed on both the carriage power feed and cross feed for roughing and finishing (i.e., the roughing speed is still much slower than a threading speed). The brushless motor is also great -- amazing torque at slow speeds (100 rpm).

I bought 5" 3- and 4-jaw chucks but have not installed them yet. The adaptor has some problems, so I'll have to get a new one.

Otherwise, so far so good!

Scott

Way to go Scott! I'm glad you're having good luck with the 8.5x20. The power crossfeed looks good to me, too...
Let us know how you get on with the chuck adapter, would you?
...Doug

Sounds like you're the first one here with the new lathe... got to post up some pics of the new tool!

OK, folks, here are some photos. Apologies if the formatting is awkward.

lathe.01.jpg

A few initial observations:

Runout: No measurable deviation! I put a piece of drill rod in the chuck, made sure it was centered at the chuck, and measured 5" away from the chuck. Zero! I turned an 8" length of 1" aluminum down to to 0.875", supporting the end with a dead center. Total change in diameter from end to end: 0.0015" Not too bad.

motorControl.jpg

Motor: what a beast! 1.34 hp (according to LMS) with super torque at low speeds. The motor controls are nicely laid out and easy to operate. The electronic speed control runs from 100 - 2000+ rpm. A plastic cover over the chuck is interlocked with the motor in such a way that you can't start the lathe up if the chuck key is still in chuck. The lathe is big enough that the cover does not obstruct the view of the cutting action.

carriage.02.jpg

Carriage, Cross Slide, and Compound: heavy (carriage) and smooth. The power feed on both X and Y is a nice feature. Excellent finishes on facing and turning. My only complaint is that the carriage gibs are on the back, which makes them a pain to adjust. I haven't done this yet, because I'll have to turn the lathe around (carefully!) to gain access. It's still less fuss than removing the carriage to adjust the gibs on a mini-lathe. The carriage crank has a scale with 0.002" increments, which will be handy for quick and dirty X-axis measurements while turning. There's an easy adjustment to center the carriage half-nuts on the lead screw -- takes just seconds to do.

powerFeedLever.jpg

The power feed lever has three positions: up for powered cross feed, middle for neutral, down for power carriage feed

handFeed.jpg

The carriage hand crank has a scale (my mini-lathe did not) which I will find handy for rough measurements.

The covered lead screw is a nice idea, but I somehow managed a couple times to get the lead screw wrapped up in big tangles of swarf that fell between the ways. Because the lead screw is covered, I don't notice this until there's a huge blob of swarf spinning around the lead screw. No big deal, I'll just have to periodically clear the swarf away while turning.

changeGears.jpg

Change gears: The lathe ships set to the "fine feed" speed. I swapped the gears to obtain a faster power feed -- the "coarse feed" speed -- which still seems a little slower than the default speed on my mini-lathe. Consequently the finish in turning aluminum has been very good. I probably won't switch back to the fine feed gears. Haven't tried threading yet.

ways.jpg

Fit and Finish: Everything looks well made. Very little packing grease, so clean up took just a few minutes. I haven't taken apart the carriage or head stock and hope it will never be necessary.

I am not inclined to stress test the machine. I tried turning 0.015" (0.030" diameter reduction) on aluminum and it was just fine, though the finish was a little rough. A second finishing pass cleaned it up nicely. Parting is a lot easier than on a mini-lathe, though it still took a while to part the 0.875" stock mentioned earlier!

I really liked my old mini-lathe from Big Dog Metal Works and learned a lot working with it over the last four years. It is now in the hands of a very capable new owner. I'm still pretty green in this hobby, but it's likely that this is the last lathe I'll own.

Now, about that mill...

Scott

changeGears.jpg handFeed.jpg lathe.01.jpg motorControl.jpg powerFeedLever.jpg ways.jpg carriage.02.jpg

Last edited:
Wow, great pictures and comments! Thanks salindroth. That lathe is a frontrunner for my next purchase.

Congrats!

The new lathe seems well thought out and looks well done. I'm drooling for one of my own.

Can't wait to see some of the finished new bits that come off of it.

beautiful lathe! It's at or near the top of my wish list if the necessary funds ever come up. It's certainly all the lathe I can imagine needing, has all the bells and whistles, yet can be moved around by a couple of guys without too much effort. Don't forget to post pics of it in action!

This isn't too exciting, but you can see the LMS 8.5x20 making a 0.005" finishing cut on aluminum.

turning.jpg

Nice finish. The difference in diameter over 7 inches is 0.002". The cutting tool is sticking out so far so the compound does not hit the tailstock, which is supporting the workpiece with a dead center.

turningDramatic.jpg

My son prefers more dramatic lighting.

caps.jpg

I still have to drill a hole across the diameter of these parts on the mill.

IMG_1294.JPG

They will the replace wine bottle corks in a "percussion machine" I'm building. I think it sounds better than it looks, but both sound and looks will improve.

Some will find this strange... :nuts:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/4oznoev6b76oc55/percEns8mics3.MP4

All the metal came from a recycling center. There will be live musicians playing as well as a laptop.

Scott

turning.jpg turningDramatic.jpg caps.jpg IMG_1294.JPG

Last edited:
that is really cool and great finishes on the pieces too. I should stop reading this thread, it's making me itchy for something I can't afford :)

A brief update: I discovered a couple of burrs around the bolt holes on the spindle plate that holds the chuck. After facing them off, the lathe now performs even more accurately than before. Using a 5" 3-jaw chuck, there's no more than 0.0005" difference (if any at all) from end to end after turning 1" rods extending several inches from the chuck.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back