Brand specific CAD subforums. Any interest?

Ken226

Registered
Registered
@krby mentioned an idea in another thread that caught my interest. He mentioned maybe having some brand specific CAD subforums. I like the idea, and was just wondering if anyone else has any interest in this.

With the popularity of 3d printers, more and more people are trying to learn solid modeling. There's a learning curve to it, and having some brand specific subforums with members who are proficient in those programs and willing to help out, would probably be helpful to a lot of our members.

Fusion is extremely popular due to their free hobby license, and FreeCAD seems to have a pretty good following too. Perhaps subforums for Fusion and Freecad due to their common use in the hobbyist community, and some of the more common and popular $$$ CAD programs as well. Some of these programs have similar user interfaces and functionality. For example Solidworks, Inventor, Fusion and Alibre are very similar in the basics, and users who are learning one system, would find a lot of useful info in subforums covering the others.

Maybe subforums for Fusion, Freecad, Solidworks, Inventor, Alibre.

I'm more than happy to help out with the Alibre subforum, answering questions and posting tutorial videos. I'm sure we have members here than can help out in the other subforums as well.

Thoughts? Any interest?

Last edited:
Great idea by all involved with this discussion. I’ll set them up asap.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I didn't expect that to happen so quickly and easily. Thank you.

Thanks

Last edited:
Thanks for this @Ken226 !

IMO the top ones for hobbyists Fusion360, Solidworks, FreeCad. Autodesk Inventor still costs quite a bit and questions on this could probably be served by the F360 subforum.

I've never heard of Alibre before your post, but since you're willing to answer questions, seems like a good reason to have a subforum for it.

Thanks for this @Ken226 !

IMO the top ones for hobbyists Fusion360, Solidworks, FreeCad. Autodesk Inventor still costs quite a bit and questions on this could probably be served by the F360 subforum.

I've never heard of Alibre before your post, but since you're willing to answer questions, seems like a good reason to have a subforum for it.

No problem.

Over on the Alibre forum, I decided that some questions are easier answered via video than via text and pics.

I've got a little library of tutorials started. Each, answering a question someone asked.

The quick and dirty way to model threads.

Doing it more accurately:

Feature patterns:

Using 2d custom symbols for commonly used features:

Inserting/saving catalog features:

Creating planes tangent to circular and ellipsoidal faces:

I added four sub-forums. Fusion, FreeCAD, Alibre and SolidWorks. I left out Inventor because as @krby pointed out, Inventor seems to not come up that frequently. If we see a real pull for it like the others. It is easy enough to add.

Let me know if posting is problematic. Sometimes creating sub-forums in long standing parent forums can bring up legacy issues.

Last question. Should I start moving threads from the CAD for Beginners sub-forum, into their respective new CAD specific sub-forums? This can happen over time and if you are following the threads, you won't see a difference as redirects will occur automatically. Please chime in and let me know the groups preference on this matter.

Great suggestion by @Ken226 ! Thank you!

edit: spelling

Seems like there are four recent threads that begin with Freecad... in this forum that probably could be moved into the FreeCab sub-forum.

I agree with the others. Having current threads moved to the new subforums would be convenient, but not a big deal.

Back