Brass Only file, why?

100LL

Registered
Registered
In the past in a couple of different shops I've seen "Brass Only" written on the handle of some files. I was wondering, is that because it's a special file, or is it just a normal metal file but is to be used only for brass? and why?

thanks

I used to sort my files as "plastics", "aluminum", and "steel" as the steel file lost its effectiveness, I would move the aluminum to steel, ythe plastic to aluminum, and replace the plastic file with a new one.

It is good to reserve a file for brass only; a file needs to be very sharp to be effective on brass, and cutting steel dulls the file to the point that it does no work well for brass.

Brass only file is not special so-to-speak. We had them at GM. As Benny said, you need a good quality file for Brass. One that is all worn out from steel will not do.

"Billy G"

You may also not want to contaminate a soft metal with hard steel.

All good answers , I'd just like to add brass also works good to clean a file , use it to push the chips clogged out of the teeth. As good or better then a file card and pic.

All good answers , I'd just like to add brass also works good to clean a file , use it to push the chips clogged out of the teeth. As good or better then a file card and pic.

I use a piece of flattened copper plumbing pipe, push it parallel with the file cuts and it lifts the clogs really well - in a pinch a piece of hardwood, or even bamboo, will also do the job!

So far, the hardest material on my files seems to be carbon fibre - they don't last long, I guess because the fibres themselves are pretty abrasive? I've found cheap diamond-grit files are about all that stands up to it, for sawing the ceramic-tile carbide- or diamond-grit hacksaw blades aren't ruined half-way through the cut like HSS...

Dave H. (the other one)

I use a piece of flattened copper plumbing pipe, push it parallel with the file cuts and it lifts the clogs really well - in a pinch a piece of hardwood, or even bamboo, will also do the job!

So far, the hardest material on my files seems to be carbon fibre - they don't last long, I guess because the fibres themselves are pretty abrasive? I've found cheap diamond-grit files are about all that stands up to it, for sawing the ceramic-tile carbide- or diamond-grit hacksaw blades aren't ruined half-way through the cut like HSS...

Dave H. (the other one)

When I was an apprentice Locksmith and stationed in the workshop we had 2 sets of files, one for steel and one for brass.

If someone borrowed one of my files dedicated only for brass and used it on steel I could tell immediately, it would just skim over the brass and wouldn't bite. (it then became a dedicated steel file or mixed use, alloys or whatever)

Fortunately I could go into stores and requisition a new file as needed, so it wasn't a big deal if someone borrowed one but I did need to mark it and paint the handle ferrule to indicate what it was for.

Here is a link to Nicholson's files, info on page 12 describes filing brass and at the bottom around page 20 there is a file type selector chart.

http://www.nicholsontool.com/MagentoShare/media/documents/nicholson-guide-to-filing-2014.pdf

I just went to our local Graingers store and went in the back and went through all their files looking for made in USA files but only found made in Brazil or Mexico, made up a nice set of 8" files complete with wooden handles, they seem to be OK so far.

David.

Back