Brass shorts for bushings

cabinover

Registered
Registered
The local steel place only goes to 1 1/4" brass rod and I need a 2+" piece of 1 1/2" diameter. Anyone have some laying around that I could buy? Many thanks ahead of time, Bob

Bronze would be much better than brass. What is the bushing for?

Oh, bronze you say? It's for my gear train on the apron of my lathe I'm playing with. Slow speed, no real torque/pressure. It's just worn from a hundred years or so of back and forth.

I guess I could melt brass and make my own, hadn't thought of that. Thank you sirs.

Without seeing what you have, is it possible to bore out the worn section and insert a new bushing?

David

Let's see if I can get some pics on here to describe this deal. I've added some pictures on here but it will take me time to figure out just where they went.

I think they can be found under American Engine Lathe 22" in the photos. Sorry if they appear upside down or sideways. Foolish Ipod, never can tell which way it's gonna present the pics until it's published.

David, there is already a bushing in place. Hopefully it's the most worn part. Would be nice to just punch out the old and press in a new one. Then chuck up the gear and shaft to be sure it's concentric.

Try temco on eBay they have them . I saw them when I was looking for capacitors to build my RPC . Even oxtool buys brass off them saw it on his YouTube.
Lots of wire and aluminum welding leads and more .

Did some quick measuring tonight and I have these dimensions. ID of bore is 1.321", OD of shaft is anywhere from 1.219 to 1.225", and depth is 1.675". If I were to buy a bushing 1" ID, 1 3/8" OD, and 1.5" length, I could theoretically turn this to do what I need right? I have to turn the shaft down to a round part first, since it's kind of out of round now. Must have been that way since new as a brass/bronze bushing could not possibly wear an oblong pattern in a shaft....could it?

I realize that particular bushing will be a little on the shallow side but the problem I'm trying to get rid of is wobble in this gear. Will that .175 really bother enough to hurt me?

Back