Brazing Stainless Steel Wire Rack

devils4ever

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I have this Stainless Steel wire rack that has elevating feet to raise it above the bottom of the pan for even roasting in the oven. The spot welds broke on the feet rendering the rack and pan useless.

Is it possible to braze the SS wire back together? I've never done brazing. I just bought a MAPP torch for hardening and tempering, but can this be used for brazing?

Also, it has to be food safe. Is braze food safe?

Cadmium-free silver braze would be fine, and I believe people often use the black flux for stainless steel. You’d have to secure the parts first.

I usually TIG this type of thing, and obliterate it in the process. A spot welder would be nice.

HF sells a spot welder for not too much $$$ and I think it gets good reviews. Might be an option.

I would use hard silver solder. Not the soft silver solder. Make sure and use the proper flux. The flux for lead base solder won’t work. The borax based flux like the one used with brass brazing works. The mapp torch should work just fine. Good luck with your repair.

Can you suggest where and exactly what to buy?

I have this Stainless Steel wire rack that has elevating feet to raise it above the bottom of the pan for even roasting in the oven. The spot welds broke on the feet rendering the rack and pan useless.

Is it possible to braze the SS wire back together? I've never done brazing. I just bought a MAPP torch for hardening and tempering, but can this be used for brazing?

Also, it has to be food safe. Is braze food safe?
I think you would be way ahead just buying a new rack vs fixing this one.

The cost of fixing this and the potential risks outweigh anything you would save fixing it.

Seems like the risk is simply not being able to make the repair. I attempt these types of things to develop skills and reduce waste. It is often not the economically preferred approach.

You might want to be careful handing out advise without knowing the subject matter.

Are the brazing flux or metals conductive to safe food handling practices? Does the OP (or you?) even know this is a thing?

Cadmium poisoning would be great advise to receive, I’m sure his family would enjoy a rando on the internet suggesting this out of hand.

2nd post.

You also suggested a flux that has the warning of hazards to the unborn according to the msds sheet.

I’ll say it again, the risks are too great to save $10! Don’t let someone random internet poster help you learn the skill of poisoning your family, buy a new rack.

Last edited:
A spot welder would be great for this. It's great for sheet metal stuff as well. I'm going to use mine to repair a BBQ grill whose slats have come loose. It appears that's how mine was made to begin with. No weird fluxes or brazing material, just a couple of 2 second welds. No need for lots of clamps either because the tips hold everything in place.

Back