Bridge Crane build

Bit of design trivia. Not my expertise so I'm sure those with ME/CE degrees or career experience could expound much better. But I'm bored and not up to much more than the computer, so I'm babbling.

In this image from above, you can see the 4 bolt holes along the lower edge of the truck, to bolt through into the retainer strip that keeps the truck captive on the rail. That retainer strip is just a safety, so it does not provide any structural function. Well, actuallly ...
double nut upright.jpg

For a long horizontal beam supporting a weight, if you look at a force carried by the metal, it is highest at the edges of a piece. That means the metal fails from the outer edge inward. Pretty intuitive if you've seen anything crack. This is why I-beams or W-beams have most of the metal in the flange, put the majority of the metal in the flange where the force is carried. This reduces the stress in the metal, which is just force per unit area. Basically all designing comes down to keeping the maximum stress well below the threshold that the metal can carry. (How much it can carry, over time, factoring in possible fatigue, etc, is a VERY complex topic).

Figuring the stress in the metal is not simple. There are plenty of pre-computed numbers for basic shapes (called moments of inertia). If you remember back to high school science you may have studied "springs". If you are a geek, you might even remember "Hooke's Law", F=kx. Really all you need to do is a 3 dimensional integral (calculus) of Hooke's Law over the area of the loaded structure to see what stress is. Basically you treat the entire structure as if it was built of 3D interconnected springs. That's the foundation of this type of design work.

To deal with complex structures that 3D mesh of interconnected springs is modeled by a computer. This is the "Finite Element Analysis (FEA) @Dabbler and I discussed earlier. It is the only practical way to do a rigorous analysis of how the metal is carrying forces (or wood, or plastic, or complex composites). Necessary when designing airplanes, or bridges or skyscrapers, even car structures for that matter. I'm not doing that computer FEA. I'm using basic formulas for simple cross sections and going with that. One thing that requires is a good sense of where the metal is going to be most loaded. Most under stress. If you miss a highly loaded point that is quite possibly a structural failure. As in crane comes down catastrophically. I would guess most of us here working with metal have a bit better intuitive sense for some of those issues, but it's still educated guessing. Of course the houses we live in are structures that are designed with simple guidelines rather than FEA, so those guidelines, developed over enough time, are pretty good.

Back to those bolt holes that are along the bottom edge. If you have a 1/2" hole that is 3/4" from center to the bottom edge, that leaves 1/2" of metal beyond the hole. Because of the hole, the stress in that area goes to that outboard piece. So now that outboard piece is carrying very roughly twice the stress as it would without the hole, which makes it a prime location to start a stress crack. Moving the hole up by a mere .25", so that stress is carried by 3/4" instead of over 1/2". That extra metal implies instead of twice the load, it is only 33% more. And because the hole is farther from the highly stressed edge, it actually transfers a lot less stress. Of course, that FEA analysis would be the best way to get these numbers right, for this diatribe I'm just doing hand waving instead of real math!

Long way of saying after thinking about my design, I moved those holes up 1/4" for a significant structural improvement. Now, to really get complicated, when the retainer strip is bolted to the side plate it could help relieve some of the stress in the side plate. Basically a reinforcement buckler/gusset plate. But only if properly torqued and secured. I'm not counting on that. Because that requires careful thought to bolt torques and static friction and bolt tolerances in that model. Way too many assumptions!

Last edited:
When you bridge is unloaded, you never have to worry about stresses and stress concentrations. Since you are in "thinking mode" let me throw out one other design consideration...

When your bridge is fully loaded in the worst case scenario - at the centre - you have the greatest deflection, causing the I beam to curve (not exactly hyperbolic or parabolic, but a generic curve will do for this comment)

Now that the ends are not parallel to the ground due to the curvature, your trucks with fixed axles are now carrying much more stress on the inboard edge of your roller, and not spreading the load equally. This can lead to early fatigue failure of your inboard plate. (possibly?)

It will also unequally load your I beam track, possibly adding a torsional force on your I beam.

An answer to this, providing it is a thing at all, is to load your roller only at the centre on your veeway, which is at the centre of the I beam, and is far less likely to pick up any debris that matters.....

When you bridge is unloaded, you never have to worry about stresses and stress concentrations. Since you are in "thinking mode" let me throw out one other design consideration...

When your bridge is fully loaded in the worst case scenario - at the centre - you have the greatest deflection, causing the I beam to curve (not exactly hyperbolic or parabolic, but a generic curve will do for this comment)

Now that the ends are not parallel to the ground due to the curvature, your trucks with fixed axles are now carrying much more stress on the inboard edge of your roller, and not spreading the load equally. This can lead to early fatigue failure of your inboard plate. (possibly?)

It will also unequally load your I beam track, possibly adding a torsional force on your I beam.

An answer to this, providing it is a thing at all, is to load your roller only at the centre on your veeway, which is at the centre of the I beam, and is far less likely to pick up any debris that matters.....
Thought about that, basically my criteria is the inboard plate has to be able to carry all of the load at my safety factor. It's really pretty easy to overbuild the trucks and bearings. Of course there is a trade off, some flex in the truck can partially compensate for bridge deflection, overbuilding reduces that flex and puts torsion on the rail. I'd have to analyze the angle iron for load capacity to be comfortable carrying the entire load on it, but "close" counts in this case, as in all benefits from a more narrow roller. Downside is total pressure (increased wear) between the roller and rail with a narrower roller.

I did already narrow the roller a bit to avoid fatiguing the rail flanges and keep the load closer to center (reduced rail torsion). An alternative is to place a ridge parallel to the truck where the bridge beam meets the truck, could even use spring washers on the bolts to intentionally give that connection some flex/hinging action. Again, bolt elasticity plays a part too. Another approach is to calculate that deflection at max load and shim the truck to bear weight on the outside when unload, to be evenly loaded at max capacity. Something along that line is prudent just to deal with any build tolerances. Keeping the two truck axles parallel is another factor. But all of those issues are reduced by centered contact between the track and rollers. My original idea (which got lost) of using something like a 1" x 1/2" strip plug welded to the top has the advantage of being a solid extension of the rail top at the expense of not quite as good centering action. There's another aspect of whether the rollers, like the idlers on a belt grinder, would have some tracking benefit to being ever so slightly rounded, haven't thought that one through yet. Gut says the belt grinder tracking works because of the highly flexible nature of the belt.

My comments are meant to throw out yet more factors and approaches. I appreciate you calling out possible design issues!

Last edited:
Nice.
1/2" stock? Layout and band saw (or abrasive saw)? 1/2" holes. Beveled both sides for welding? Grind the radius.
Did you exercise the Binford 6100 belt sander?

Nice.
1/2" stock? Layout and band saw (or abrasive saw)? 1/2" holes. Beveled both sides for welding? Grind the radius.
Did you exercise the Binford 6100 belt sander?
You nailed, right down to the binford. Started with some 1/2 x 4 HRS, vertical bandsaw to cut into 2” wide strips, then horizontal bandsaw to cut the trapezoids, rounded and beveled ala binford.

Will need a few more, but wanted to test my welding technique on some scraps beam drops at this point.

Some progress on the crane. This has slowed down a bit as the spring weather is ideal for some outdoor farm work.
I'm building close to the ceiling to get as much vertical clearance as possible. Had the rail beams down the center of the shop for fabrication.
IMG_5006.JPG

The problem is the rails go 90 degrees, first one goes above the door at the far end of the rails in the above picture. The divider wall on the right creates a challenge in getting them in place since the rails span the width of the shop. Original thought was take them out of the shop and then back in through a window. Instead decided to fabricate a boom for the tractor loader, that way I could lift, move the rails forward while pivoting them. I've had other situations where a boom like this would be useful so it'll join the collection of tractor attachments.
IMG_5013.JPGIMG_5015.JPG

Used that to lift the first rail into place yesterday, using a chain to lift with some straps to help level the beam. You can see it had to go over the office space on the left in the first picture below. Clearance from the top of the beam to the ceiling is just under 12".
IMG_5022.JPGIMG_5025.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_5026.JPG
    IMG_5026.JPG
    515.6 KB · Views: 31
Last edited:
Looks like some good progress. Nice new clean steel with fresh paint. I like it!

Back