Bridge straight edge

Rob_45ca

Registered
Registered
I am looking for a 18" or 24" straight edge, old or new. I am in Canada and have not found much up here.
Thanks

Are you talking about a hand scraped straight edge for scraping, or a narrow, ground straight edge to use for checking flatness? I'm going to talk here about scraping straight edges, the others are readily available. Purchasing one depends on how much you are willing to pay and how long you are willing to wait. Save a search on Ebay and wait till one comes up, you can expect to pay about $10 per inch or more for a used one. Busch precision sells new straightedges, either ground or scraped for a lot more than $10 per inch. There are also companies in India that can be found through a Google search that sell new hand scraped straightedges for a fraction of the cost of Busch, but a bit more than used. I've only ever bought used from ebay. Good luck.

......and Welcome to the site!

I should have said a bridge straight edge and yes, for scraping. I do not buy much on e-bay from the US as I bough a drill key for $8 then the shipping was $12 and the part I was very unhappy with was $29 for import broker fee. I only buy if they will ship parcel post and a lot will not.
Thanks for the welcome too.

I'm not familiar with the term "bridge" straightedge. There are two general types that I know of and that's camelback and parallel. I assume that you are referring to a camelback. If you want to do all the machining and scraping yourself, Gary Martin from Martin Model and Pattern sells bare castings, I purchased an 18" one from him, I think he has longer ones as well.

I'm not familiar with the term "bridge" straightedge. There are two general types that I know of and that's camelback and parallel. I assume that you are referring to a camelback. If you want to do all the machining and scraping yourself, Gary Martin from Martin Model and Pattern sells bare castings, I purchased an 18" one from him, I think he has longer ones as well.
Ya you were right. I was always told bridge, but that does not mean it's right. I did a lot of scraping when I was young as I worked for an old machine designer and rebuilder. That would be good for me. Thanks for that info, I will look him up

Back