Bridgeport Availability In Your Part Of This Country

I'd be curious to know what a typical used Bridgeport in ready to use condition (not a project) sells for. I see a lot of comments displaying shock that small mills can often sell for $1500-3000. Based on prices I see on ebay, CL etc my assumption is $2000-4000 being normal, but again based on comments I gather that is high. Do most buy them trashed and recondition them (in which case time and parts cost should be considered).

Interesting,
I started this thread back in April 2018.
The BP I purchased was lost in the California fires( Paradise) on November 8th, 2018.
Having that mill for just a few months gave me the opportunity to know a bit more of what to look for when I purchased my replacement.
Thanks for taking me down memory lane.View attachment 313220View attachment 313221

Your pre-fire posts pop up occasionally, and every time as I read through them it is like watching a movie you forgot you have seen and then 1/2 way through you realize you've seen it before and know how it ends.

What! you do not like the flame hardened ways?

Surprised the fire was hot enough to melt the aluminum. I also find it interesting the unburned areas in the back ground. I have followed your story, and am amazed at how fast you have returned to a sort of normal. I would still be crying.

It is quite common to see cars in a fire area with the aluminum engine blocks and wheels as pools of melted metal on the ground. Aluminum melts at 1200-1300F, a forest fire can easily reach 1400F and have been documented upwards of 2100F, hot enough to melt cast iron.

I think machine pricing like many things varies by region.
Where I live industrial machines are more expensive than areas that have/had a manufacturing base.

A $2000 BP-mill in NJ would be more here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'd be curious to know what a typical used Bridgeport in ready to use condition (not a project) sells for. I see a lot of comments displaying shock that small mills can often sell for $1500-3000. Based on prices I see on ebay, CL etc my assumption is $2000-4000 being normal, but again based on comments I gather that is high. Do most buy them trashed and recondition them (in which case time and parts cost should be considered).

Your pre-fire posts pop up occasionally, and every time as I read through them it is like watching a movie you forgot you have seen and then 1/2 way through you realize you've seen it before and know how it ends.

It is quite common to see cars in a fire area with the aluminum engine blocks and wheels as pools of melted metal on the ground. Aluminum melts at 1200-1300F, a forest fire can easily reach 1400F and have been documented upwards of 2100F, hot enough to melt cast iron.
I just want to say that...
I really admire Jeff for the way he bounced back from that horrible fire. I could not imagine starting over like that.

@Janderso In Canada, where David is from, it is a captive sellers market. Especially on Vancouver island. I've seen completely unusable BP clones go for more than 5K$ in Calgary. Prices are stupid here.

@Janderso In Canada, where David is from, it is a captive sellers market. Especially on Vancouver island. I've seen completely unusable BP clones go for more than 5K$ in Calgary. Prices are stupid here.

Despite its proximity to us, and a similar language Canada is an entirely separate nation so I can imagine prices are much different, than even just across the border. If I'm willing there is nothing but time and gas money stopping me from buying a lathe or mill in Maryland or Michigan (which seem to be hot spots of machinery) and bringing it home. Those of you up north still have an international border and customs to deal with.

David,
That's a lot of money for a BP clone. I think you can buy a new one for that, or less.

Sort of yes.
Here’s an example of what’s available new for $11K

Used is similar:

I realize that these are from a dealer but my search experience thus far is that where I live dealers are where machines end up when industry upgrades or folds up.

The two private sales I’ve seen in six months have been an entire shop (lathe and KBC BP clone plus other stuff for $35K or the price gouging approach from the guy with the Shepherd mill for $8500

Despite its proximity to us, and a similar language Canada is an entirely separate nation so I can imagine prices are much different, than even just across the border. If I'm willing there is nothing but time and gas money stopping me from buying a lathe or mill in Maryland or Michigan (which seem to be hot spots of machinery) and bringing it home. Those of you up north still have an international border and customs to deal with.

Agreed.
There’s an automatic 37% price increase because of currency exchange plus a minimum of 5% for taxes to bring the machine into Canada.

Now that makes sense for an unobtainable machine but for my personal circumstance I cannot justify the time and expense to pull that off.
Because I live on an island it’s automatically $200 minimum to leave and come back with a vehicle. More if I have to take a trailer capable of hauling a 1000 lb+ machine.

I was very surprised when Precison Matthews quoted a shipping price that was only $40 more than ConUS shipping. Still, a PM-25VM mill would be $3000 to my door.

Last edited:
Back