Bridgeport CNC with Masso Controller/Clearpath

Cooter Brown

863 Bronze
H-M Supporter - Gold Member ($25)
Now I need to figure out this VFD....

I got the spindle to run from the Masso with the "M03 S" command but the VFD was making a pulsing sound and then the motor started to let the smoke out... Luckily I have another motor waiting.... Other than that I am able to move everything with the Masso now....

Last edited:

Cooter Brown

863 Bronze
Wired up the first home switch and the Masso just works without any trouble... Flawlessly! Though it is a bit of fun setting it all up, the way they have alot of stuff in the menu is very strangely worded its almost like Engrish....

Cooter Brown

863 Bronze
I have the spindle all figured out no more smoke..... I can start and stop it with the keyboard....

I have the X and Y NPN stop switches wired..... I'm still trying to figure out how I want the Z axis NPN stop mounted.....

Still cant get the Masso to zero the machine coordinates the right way it keeps setting it at the half way point which limits the movement from 10" to 5" huge problem....

Cooter Brown

863 Bronze
Dude that $uck$....I Know that Exact same feeling! My only transportation for college and 2 full time jobs was stolen many moons ago that contained about 3k in personal worktools and another grand in school books. The lost tools really hurt but the books, man that was devestating....that was a ruff year! Anyway sorry to hear about that and im happy you at least found the van.

I had to pay $800 to get my stolen van out of impound.... I'm not that happy about it... It needs a battery, new locks, steering column, catalytic converters were cut off needs to be straight piped now but they didn't crash it luckily.....

Can we please stop talking about my stolen van in this thread, I'm trying to think about my CNC project and the 2,500sqft building I'm moving to soon.....

I'm trying to figure out how to get a forklift and a trailer or 2 forklifts, one at each building lol.... I already have a friend with a flatbed tow truck....

Last edited:

Cooter Brown

863 Bronze
I have the building!!! :cool: :cool: :cool:

10' overhead door :laughing:
Spent the last few days ripping down the previous renter's walls to make it work for my setup, Sadly its only 240V 3 phase :cussing::cussing:
20190909_223522.jpg

The small room in the corner is a bathroom that is going to have a shower soon.....

20190908_224921.jpg

I'm going to be able to park 3 trucks in here and have a descent sized machine shop soon and still have the other half of the building that I have no idea what to do with yet.....

Last edited:

vtcnc

Admin
Staff member
H-M Platinum Supporter ($50)
I have the building!!! :cool: :cool: :cool:

10' overhead door :laughing:
Spent the last few days ripping down the previous renter's walls to make it work for my setup, Sadly its only 240V 3 phase :cussing::cussing:
View attachment 301939

The small room in the corner is a bathroom that is going to have a shower soon.....

View attachment 301940

I'm going to be able to park 3 trucks in here and have a descent sized machine shop soon and still have the other half of the building that I have no idea what to do with yet.....
:big grin: with envy!

Cooter Brown

863 Bronze
I enjoy the Masso controller but I just found a huge issue with the interface....

On the F1 screen in the middle there are 32 Inputs that can be changed to do all sorts of things.... 3 of them need to be home commands on my setup, and I am using NPN sensors for the home switches..... My NPN sensors are Normally Closed but if you ask Masso support how to run a NC switch they told me it wont work.... Then I noticed that next to the where it say Low in green there is an option next to it that says Invert and its set to NO by default and no matter how hard you look you will never find a way to edit that setting....... So I asked Masso support how to change it and they tell me to select the input and press the space bar...... WTF!?:face slap: This control is never mentioned anywhere in the GUI.....

Now I have my NC NPN sensors working.... :cool:

Last edited:

vtcnc

Admin
Staff member
I enjoy the Masso controller but I just found a huge issue with the interface....

On the F1 screen in the middle there are 32 Inputs that can be changed to do all sorts of things.... 3 of them need to be home commands on my setup, and I am using NPN sensors for the home switches..... My NPN sensors are Normally Closed but if you ask Masso support how to run a NC switch they told me it wont work.... Then I noticed that next to the where it say Low in green there is an option next to it that says Invert and its set to NO by default and no matter how hard you look you will never find a way to edit that setting....... So I asked Masso support how to change it and they tell me to select the input and press the space bar...... WTF!?:face slap: This control is never mentioned anywhere in the GUI.....

Normally users discover that feature when they slam their keyboard.

BGHansen

H-M Supporter - Gold Member

Seems intuitive to me . . . I figured it'd be more something like ATL CNTRL DELETE A-Z simultaneously.

Cooter Brown

863 Bronze
I'm getting a problem with the Y axis, when i power up the Masso the Y axis runs a home command automatically but ignores the home switch and bends the mount to hell.... I asked Masso support about this problem, they told me to make a video of it to send them because they claim to have never seen this issue before..... lol

If you tell me it can't be broken I will find a way......

Cooter Brown

863 Bronze
I just ordered a new set of knee gears mine are damaged and they skip on the way down soooo i'm going to tear everything back down again.....

Last edited:

Cooter Brown

863 Bronze
I have the New knee gears..... i'm going to rip the machine apart and rebuild it this weekend...... I'm not exactly happy about this but it needs to get done....

20191016_083354.jpg20191016_083417.jpg

Last edited:

Cooter Brown

863 Bronze
What do you guys think I should do for lubrication on the gears? light/heavy grease or just way oil........? maybe something else.....?

Im going to take the one shot lube pump off the surface grinder and try to run some hoses to the ways while I'm at it.....
The suface grinder need new hoses they are all clogged up.....

Last edited:

Flyinfool

H-M Supporter - Silver Member
H-M Supporter - Silver Member ($10)
Great write up on this build. I have learned a lot that I can apply to "someday" when I try to CNC my Tree 2UVR. The Tree has no access to the spindle for Z, Everyone has said that I do not want to use the knee for Z. I will be watching close to see how this works out for you.

JimDawson

Global Moderator
Staff member
I read through this thread and looks like you are doing a great job in spite of the various problems, just a normal build. o_O

One thing I might suggest is adding air springs to the knee to take some of the load off of the gears. BP made some machines that the knee was the Z axis and they used a hydraulic system of some kind. If you set it up so the knee ''weighs'' about 100 lbs or so, the servo will easily move it and you won't wear out the gears and lead screw. Maybe someday concider a ball screw for the knee.

Cooter Brown

863 Bronze
I read through this thread and looks like you are doing a great job in spite of the various problems, just a normal build. o_O

One thing I might suggest is adding air springs to the knee to take some of the load off of the gears. BP made some machines that the knee was the Z axis and they used a hydraulic system of some kind. If you set it up so the knee ''weighs'' about 100 lbs or so, the servo will easily move it and you won't wear out the gears and lead screw. Maybe someday concider a ball screw for the knee.

I bought this Bridgeport for $450 and it was completely clapped out so I'm just fixing problems that have already existed before I owned it.....

The Z axis servo has a 5:1 gear head and it moves the Knee with out any problems, up and down works great..... before I added the gear head the knee would only go down.....

The problem is that my knee gears have 50 years of wear on them with about 3/8" - 1/2" of backlash..... lol

I have never seen a ball screw for the knee.....

Last edited:

Cooter Brown

863 Bronze
Great write up on this build. I have learned a lot that I can apply to "someday" when I try to CNC my Tree 2UVR. The Tree has no access to the spindle for Z, Everyone has said that I do not want to use the knee for Z. I will be watching close to see how this works out for you.
I am trying to make this thread as complete as I can so other people can get some ideas on how to move forward when they hit a wall.....

Makes me happy to hear that you are going to steal some ideas from my build log.....

JimDawson

Global Moderator
Staff member
I have never seen a ball screw for the knee.....
A 1''x 5 would work well. I don't know if there is one specifically made for a BP knee, but not much of a job to put one in.

Cooter Brown

863 Bronze
I had a problem a while ago that I forgot to post about......

One of the lovejoy couplers spun in the aluminum tubing so to fix it I drilled an 1/8" hole in the end and hammered a roll pin in.....

My very good friend came over just to help me replace the knee gears, they have almost zero backlash now and the table is very easy to lift by hand now..... I'm going to put a roll pin in all of the lovejoy couplers now since I have it all apart.....

Covered the gears in marine moly grease.....

20191017_232501.jpg
20191017_232515.jpg

Attachments

Last edited:

Cooter Brown

863 Bronze
Just ordered myself a set of new spindle bearings for the Bridgeport. Wow these things are pricey! Three bearings for $350.

I'm going to replace them tonight...

BGHansen

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
Just ordered myself a set of new spindle bearings for the Bridgeport. Wow these things are pricey! Three bearings for $350.

I'm going to replace them tonight...
Ouch! How'd you determine you needed new bearings (just curious)? Noise, looseness with the spindle advanced, etc.?

Bruce

Cooter Brown

863 Bronze
Ouch! How'd you determine you needed new bearings (just curious)? Noise, looseness with the spindle advanced, etc.?

Bruce

There is a little tool runout and I can tell that something is just not right when I run an end mill through a piece of aluminum or steel, the spindle makes to much noise under load..... They have 50+ years of wear I think its time to change them..... When the company that owned it last moved to a new building they left this machine to sell it.......

2 Timken and 1 NTN bearing.....

Last edited:

Cooter Brown

863 Bronze
I getting a lot of work done at the building but there is a ton still left..... making cnc progress slow down a little.... I still need to move the rest of my machines over here I just have the one SB heavy 10 here so far.....
20191113_235958.jpg

Last edited: