Bridgeport CNC with Masso Controller/Clearpath

This is going to be my first CNC build and my First build log. I've decided that a build log on this forum might be a good idea for this project so the next guy to take on this project doesn't have to deal with the stupid stuff I'm already running into.

This is my Masso Controller
GetFileAttachment.jpg
I will be using 3 Clearpath Stepper Killer servos model# CPM-SDSK-3432S-RLN
20180629_203142.jpeg
They are a little over 6" long...
20180629_203333.jpeg
almost 3.5"
20180629_203240.jpeg
1/2" shaft with a 3/16" keyway
20180629_202811.jpeg
I will be using Teknic's IPC-5 75VDC power supply
20180629_202938.jpeg
20180629_202907.jpeg
But before you can wire up you Masso controller you have to power up the Clearpath servos and plug them in to a PC with the ClearPath USB-B cable and it absolutely has to be their cable I've already tried 5 others, now I'm waiting for UPS to deliver a "Teknic Certified" USB cable. Very Lame....
Capture.JPG
Their program will not see my servos without the "Teknic Certified" USB cable...

Edit: Almost any USB cable will work.... lol

Last edited:
Great write up on this build. I have learned a lot that I can apply to "someday" when I try to CNC my Tree 2UVR. The Tree has no access to the spindle for Z, Everyone has said that I do not want to use the knee for Z. I will be watching close to see how this works out for you.

I am trying to make this thread as complete as I can so other people can get some ideas on how to move forward when they hit a wall.....

Makes me happy to hear that you are going to steal some ideas from my build log.....

I had a problem a while ago that I forgot to post about......

One of the lovejoy couplers spun in the aluminum tubing so to fix it I drilled an 1/8" hole in the end and hammered a roll pin in.....

My very good friend came over just to help me replace the knee gears, they have almost zero backlash now and the table is very easy to lift by hand now..... I'm going to put a roll pin in all of the lovejoy couplers now since I have it all apart.....

Covered the gears in marine moly grease.....

20191017_232501.jpg
20191017_232515.jpg

Attachments

• 20191017_232501.jpg
    20191017_232501.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 5
Last edited:
Just ordered myself a set of new spindle bearings for the Bridgeport. Wow these things are pricey! Three bearings for $350.

I'm going to replace them tonight...

Just ordered myself a set of new spindle bearings for the Bridgeport. Wow these things are pricey! Three bearings for $350.

I'm going to replace them tonight...
Ouch! How'd you determine you needed new bearings (just curious)? Noise, looseness with the spindle advanced, etc.?

Bruce

Ouch! How'd you determine you needed new bearings (just curious)? Noise, looseness with the spindle advanced, etc.?

Bruce

There is a little tool runout and I can tell that something is just not right when I run an end mill through a piece of aluminum or steel, the spindle makes to much noise under load..... They have 50+ years of wear I think its time to change them..... When the company that owned it last moved to a new building they left this machine to sell it.......

2 Timken and 1 NTN bearing.....

Last edited:
I getting a lot of work done at the building but there is a ton still left..... making cnc progress slow down a little.... I still need to move the rest of my machines over here I just have the one SB heavy 10 here so far.....
20191113_235958.jpg

Last edited:
Before I touched anything I'm already seeing problems, this bearing spacer is not tight in between the two bearings.....

20200103_060207.jpg20200103_060223.jpg
The lock washer is missing a barb and two other barbs are bent to up good, I'm guessing this spindle has been taken apart at least three times before I bought it..... But the best part is that the nut was on finger tight.....
20200103_060324.jpg20200103_235251.jpg

I'm going to touch this nut up on the surface grinder.....

20200103_235400.jpg

Last edited:
I knew there was going to be some problems but I had no idea it was going to be this bad..... but all the bearing journals are within the proper sizes and the spindle cleaned up alright, the new sealed bearings will press on nicely.... If you buy an old used mill take the spindle out and check it....

Last edited:
Back