Bridgeport CNC with Masso Controller/Clearpath

This is going to be my first CNC build and my First build log. I've decided that a build log on this forum might be a good idea for this project so the next guy to take on this project doesn't have to deal with the stupid stuff I'm already running into.

This is my Masso Controller
GetFileAttachment.jpg
I will be using 3 Clearpath Stepper Killer servos model# CPM-SDSK-3432S-RLN
20180629_203142.jpeg
They are a little over 6" long...
20180629_203333.jpeg
almost 3.5"
20180629_203240.jpeg
1/2" shaft with a 3/16" keyway
20180629_202811.jpeg
I will be using Teknic's IPC-5 75VDC power supply
20180629_202938.jpeg
20180629_202907.jpeg
But before you can wire up you Masso controller you have to power up the Clearpath servos and plug them in to a PC with the ClearPath USB-B cable and it absolutely has to be their cable I've already tried 5 others, now I'm waiting for UPS to deliver a "Teknic Certified" USB cable. Very Lame....
Capture.JPG
Their program will not see my servos without the "Teknic Certified" USB cable...

Edit: Almost any USB cable will work.... lol

Last edited:
This is my 1960 Bridgeport J-Head that I will be converting. I just recently installed a zero backlash ball screw and a set of way covers.
20180629_210423.jpeg
20180629_210454.jpeg20180629_210438.jpeg
If you own a mill you need to have a heavy steel table on wheels, I was able to disassemble this machine by myself when I installed the ball screw. My table is an old safe from a KFC that was broken into the door is the 1/2' plate on the top.
20180331_215112.jpeg
This is the VFD that I will be using for this project. Its a cheap Chinese VFD but it seems to work for now.
20180629_210548.jpeg

Last edited:
Wiring on the Masso Controller is kinda strange but it works great. To wire the inputs you just run one wire from the Masso 12-24VDC power supply's + terminal to any one of the input terminals. The software looks pretty nice. I might be able to use this setup as a DRO.... LULZ

MASSO-Mounting-2-1.png

Everything that Masso has on their website for wiring a clearpath servo to their controller is wrong but I figured it all out now. I have all of the servos running with input from the Masso Controller. I'm going to start working on the servo mounts today.

Everything that Masso has on their website for wiring a clearpath servo to their controller is wrong but I figured it all out now. I have all of the servos running with input from the Masso Controller. I'm going to start working on the servo mounts today.
Amazing that they would have the info wrong. Glad you got it figured out.

Bruce

This is how Masso tells you to wire the clearpath..... It doesn't work at all!
20180701_141652.jpeg
This is the correct way to wire the servo to the controller.
20180701_141701.jpeg

Last edited:
Hi Cooter,

Thank you for sharing your build so far! I wanted to chime in on the USB cable issues you seem to be having.

In order to configure the ClearPath motors through Teknic's motor setup program(MSP), you will need a USB cable designed for data connection. Many third party cables will work just fine, however there are a number of low quality USB cables which will not support the communication bandwidth required to connect to the motor. An extra long USB cable, or a cable primarily used for charging devices may not have the correct wire gauge or shielding to support real-time communication.

Given, that you have tried 5 cables already, there also may be an issue with your computer. While you are waiting for the cable from Teknic to arrive, I would recommend trying the following:
  • Open up device manager on your computer.
  • When you connect the motor, you should see a device appear.
  • If the device shows as an unknown device, or it shows up as a Teknic ClearPath System with a yellow warning triangle, then there was an issue with the USB driver during the MSP installation. I would recommend uninstalling and re-downloading the installer from Teknic's website. Sometimes antivirus software can interfere with the download and installation and block the USB driver from being installed. If the problem persists, you will have to manually point your computer to the driver files.
  • If no device appears when connecting the USB cable, then there is a hardware issue where the USB hub inside your computer is not detecting any connection. This could be caused by a cable issue, power settings in your computer, or damage to the USB port on the computer itself. Restart your computer and verify that the port you are trying to use is working with another USB device (like a mouse or USB thumb-drive).

If you are still experiencing issues after trying these steps, please let me know by sending an email to support@teknic.com and I can walk you through some more advanced troubleshooting steps.

I look forward to seeing your progress on the rest of this build. :)

Brendan

Hi Cooter,

Thank you for sharing your build so far! I wanted to chime in on the USB cable issues you seem to be having.

I look forward to seeing your progress on the rest of this build. :)

Brendan

I have the USB cable from Teknic, all of my hardware is working properly and I have the Clearpath servos accepting commands from the Masso Controller....... I'm workng on the servo Axis mounts right now....... I will be making them from 1/4" steel square tube and plate..... I need to make an aluminum dummy servo next so I can Tig the mounts without causing damage to the servos....

Thank you for the interest in my project.

Last edited:
Back